Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 8, 2019   #46
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I'm germinating them on paper towels and was super careful not to touch seeds, just shaking them from little the little bags onto the paper towels. Even with that, there must have been some of the residue on the packaging... I just rubbed my eye.... yikes!

Ordering gloves on Amazon now.

Is there any issue handling seedlings or plants. I can't imagine there is, but clearly you can't be too careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
If you hold the super hot seeds in your hand you can burn yourself. Nitrile or latex gloves will protect you, but I never worry about pepper burns while sowing seeds. Much worse than burned hands and fingers is what happens when you touch some other sensitive body parts after handling hot pepper seeds. Of course, you multiply the heat from handling pods times a million or two compared to handling seeds.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019   #47
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Later this month I'll be starting
Aleppo
Alma Paprika
Coral's Cross
Corno di Toro Giallo
Corno Di Toro Rosso
criolla di cocina
Cubanelle
Feher Ozon Paprika
Grenada Seasoning
Leutschauer Paprika
Mulato Isleno
numex big jim
Pasilla Bajio
Piquillo
Santa Fe Grande
Shi★★★★o
Sweet Chocolate
Trinidad Perfume
Zavory
Arroz con pollo
Bulgarian Carrot
Cosa Arrugada
Doe Hill Yellow
Habanero
Himo Tagarashi
Jalapeno, early
Jaluv an Attitude
Long Cayenne
Peppadew
Sweet Banana
Sweet Pickle Pepper
Takanotsume
Tobasco Pepper
Varigated Sweet
Carbonero
Sugar Rush Peach
Also a big red stuffer that I can't remember the name of that I grow every year and some seasoning pepper crosses I've been playing with. And Tangerine Dream if it comes off of back order. So if not too many at least more than enough.

Last edited by oldman; February 11, 2019 at 03:13 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019   #48
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I started the following in individual cells of jiffy mix, heat mat set at 85. First number is number of floaters, second sinkers. First time keeping track of germination rates using this method. Planted them all, Craig's dense planting method.
I also started saved seed from a farmers market bell pepper that I've been growing for several years.

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepper grow list 2019.JPG (53.4 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; February 18, 2019 at 06:13 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019   #49
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

OK, peppers seeds are in the soilless mix:

Giant Aconcagua
Wisconsin Lakes
Super Shepard
Moravica
Cubanelle
Sweet Banana
Albino
Golden TreasureRabbit Mouth
Di Napoli
Old February 19, 2019   #50
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I started the following in individual cells of jiffy mix, heat mat set at 85. First number is number of floaters, second sinkers. First time keeping track of germination rates using this method. Planted them all, Craig's dense planting method.
I also started saved seed from a farmers market bell pepper that I've been growing for several years.

- Lisa
I DO love folks who write stuff down on an actual piece of paper!! Kudos to you!!

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2019   #51
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Peppers are a bit slow to germinate in my small greenhouse with a space heater and a few heating mats-lots of cool rainy days this year.

Varieties that are showing a few seedlings
Crackle F1
Golden Hot
Roulette F1
Aji Rico
Dragon's Toe F1
Chenzo F1
Shishi*o
Boris F1
Fushimi
Planet F1
Devil Serrano F1
Chervena Chuska
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #52
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I started my chinenese peppers in December, and this is how big they are now. Will pot them up to 1 gallon containers before translating outside. These varieties are Espiritu Santo Red and Freeport Orange. I also have Congo Trinidad, and Peruvian Red Rocoto growing. Peruvian Red Rocoto is one I can grow here in our humid weather, cannot grow the Manzano's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0370.jpg (407.5 KB, 87 views)
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #53
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I grow Aji Amarillo, Aji Criollo (frutescens), 2 types of Rocoto as new this year.
Also I grow the usual jalapeno and Padron (most productive and best pepper ever).

I mean I try to grow Rocoto. I have zero germination in almost 3 weeks now. This sucks, my Jalapeno germinated in 3 days, and the non-rocoto from the same vendor germinated fine.

The Aji Amarillo is insanely tall, and it's just the cotyledons, it's twice the height of the other peppers, I have bad feelings about this pepper.

My Aji Amarillo were really tall as seedling too. Had to use chopsticks to help keep them upright. I think that's just the nature of them.
Old February 22, 2019   #54
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, Miss Linda! Just an update on some of the seeds you sent me:

Criolla de Cocina germinated 4/6. Already potted up.
Onza Rojo germinated 5/6, and they just JUMPED out of the dirt!

Thanks again!

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #55
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Eleven days to pepper and eggplant seeding time! I wish I could start them earlier but alas, there's no room for a lot of shifted up gallon pots in the house. But since they won't be going into the ground until end of April, there will be room out on the front porch for shifted up and hardening off peppers.

Growing this year, one of each except for 2 Gypsys:

Alma Paprika
Ancho Grande
Big Jim Anaheim
Feher Ozone Paprika
Gypsy
Jalapeno M
Jupiter
Keystone Resistant III
Mucho Nacho
Sweet Banana (a freebie)

For years I had trouble growing bells. Then I read they don't like the heat here and I'd have better success with the longer, cubanelle or frying types. True! However hope springs eternal (like me and beets) and last year I tried the Jupiter and Keystone Resistant III seed that was given to me. Both bells are bred for heat resistance. Success!

It didn't hurt that they had shade part of the day. There are two other adjacent bads with that part shade so I will rotate the peppers among those three beds going forward.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #56
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I started my chinenese peppers in December, and this is how big they are now. Will pot them up to 1 gallon containers before translating outside. These varieties are Espiritu Santo Red and Freeport Orange. I also have Congo Trinidad, and Peruvian Red Rocoto growing. Peruvian Red Rocoto is one I can grow here in our humid weather, cannot grow the Manzano's.
Those look fantastic Roper. Freeport Orange is a great bonnet pepper, not blow your face off hot, but hot enough and great flavor.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019   #57
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My Aji Amarillo were really tall as seedling too. Had to use chopsticks to help keep them upright. I think that's just the nature of them.
Indeed, the nature of those plants. Many aji varities are that way, the Amarillo could easily hit 5-6 ft. Perfect candidate for topping, I topped my Amarillo and sugar rush and they have put out a ton of new growth. Ill try to post pics later.
Old February 22, 2019   #58
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I also have Congo Trinidad, and Peruvian Red Rocoto growing. Peruvian Red Rocoto is one I can grow here in our humid weather, cannot grow the Manzano's.
That is interesting, both the same species ( Capsicum pubescens) just different cultivators. Most all Pubescens require cooler temps and even some light shade in order to flourish. They do not like hot and dry. They also winter over extremely well because of the preference for cooler temps.
Old February 22, 2019   #59
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
That is interesting, both the same species ( Capsicum pubescens) just different cultivators. Most all Pubescens require cooler temps and even some light shade in order to flourish. They do not like hot and dry. They also winter over extremely well because of the preference for cooler temps.
I received seeds from the Peruvian Red Rocoto from a guy that grows them very successfully in Northern Virginia. Mine grew very well last summer, but they did have some shade. It helps to start them early, so you get pods sooner. This year I will have it in full sun. I did try a Red Manzano about 7 years ago. It was suffering in the full sun, so I put it under the frosted glass table on the deck, which helped it a lot. Starting producing pods in the fall,not enough time to grow and ripen.
Old February 22, 2019   #60
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Eleven days to pepper and eggplant seeding time! I wish I could start them earlier but alas, there's no room for a lot of shifted up gallon pots in the house. But since they won't be going into the ground until end of April, there will be room out on the front porch for shifted up and hardening off peppers.

Growing this year, one of each except for 2 Gypsys:

Alma Paprika
Ancho Grande
Big Jim Anaheim
Feher Ozone Paprika
Gypsy
Jalapeno M
Jupiter
Keystone Resistant III
Mucho Nacho
Sweet Banana (a freebie)

For years I had trouble growing bells. Then I read they don't like the heat here and I'd have better success with the longer, cubanelle or frying types. True! However hope springs eternal (like me and beets) and last year I tried the Jupiter and Keystone Resistant III seed that was given to me. Both bells are bred for heat resistance. Success!

It didn't hurt that they had shade part of the day. There are two other adjacent bads with that part shade so I will rotate the peppers among those three beds going forward.

I missed that point on Jupiter and heat. Jupiter is smaller than the giant hybrids but worth trying again and watching for this trait when the the temp warms up.
The Keystone Resistant III is new this year in one of the light green colored package dime seeds at Menards hardware store if you live near one. Should have splurged, and I'm not going back to buy it with a blizzard warning ahead. Hope it does well for you again.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote