Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2019   #3496
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

The photo is of my first harvest of Masai bush snap beans on 4/13. This is my first attempt at growing a true European bean. It is said that Masai is favored in European Restaurants for its low sieve size (1 to 1.5), flavor, tenderness and pod length. We found it tender if picked promptly. If left to pick as much as seven days, between picks, it gets a bit tough and requires longer to cook (in our case 8 minutes) but if picked promptly it takes as little as 2 minutes to cook them. Their color is medium green, so that makes them less attractive than a darker green bean. I read that because Masai bean pods are approximately 5” long, that restaurateurs usually do not cut them before cooking and placing them on a plate.
I grew Masai side by side with Cassidy bush snap beans, in the same raised bed. Masai is about half as productive as Cassidy. We have picked both 3 times and I expect to pick Masai 2 times more, although the last pick may be of less beans. Cassidy probably has 2 or 3 more picks left in it. Cassidy is a longer, and darker green bean and can also be picked at 1-2 sieve size. We find Cassidy’s taste to be easily as good as Masai, but it would appear to have a bit more fiber than Masai. This makes it necessary to cook Cassidy beans a bit longer than Masai but not much. Also, it is possible to leave Cassidy a couple of days longer in the garden, without picking, and it doesn’t make them appreciably tougher. Cassidy also seems to have a bit more crunch when you bite into it, not tough, but I bit of a crunch. As for a garden bean which is better really comes down to personal preferences, but as a market bean Cassidy would be superior because of its longer and darker green bean pods. Also, because I believe Cassidy to have more fiber, it would maintain its crisp look on the shelf longer than a low fiber bean like Masai, which would tend to wilt more.
I have a few more low sieve bean varieties to try in the fall. Who knows I may find a real winner?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Masai Beans 1st pick.jpg (263.4 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Zone9b; May 6, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #3497
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

This is a Brandywine Dark that I picked 2 days ago. Length 4" and weight 10.26 oz. It is an attractive color - dark glossy red with green shoulders. This is the largest so far this season. I have picked a few at 3 1/2". I believe this to be from a single blossom not a multi-blossom. I will save seeds from this one for the fall. I didn't get my tomatoes in the garden until at least 3 weeks late. For a medium sized tomato BD is exceptionally early. The tomato below was picked at 57 dft. The first BD this season was at 50 dft. It is approximately 4 days later than Fourth of July, with FOJ almost always the earliest tomato that I pick, but they are small.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD 4 in 10.26 oz.jpg (327.3 KB, 104 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #3498
PlainJane

That ‘mater looks great!
Old May 9, 2019   #3499
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

You've brought the BD really far and I agree that tomato does not look like a fused blossom.

Stats - the only remaining Heirloom / OP plant that I have from the fall is Aunt Ginny's Purple which is a weird name b/c it isn't even purple. It even outlasted Polish and Kelloggs which came in 2nd. I also still have a McKinley (or one of the Mcs) but will see if the buds even blossom. Otherwise, it will be pulled like I did with Kellogs last night.

Larry - did you ever try the Damsel seeds I sent you? That one is a machine too.

I'm growing a heat determinate variety (HeatMaster) that I read about here on TV. Was beheaded during the hail but has set a lot of fruit; many are large already.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #3500
PlainJane

After I found that a worm had drilled into the small guy I picked everything with any color break.
3 Black Brandywines and a Carmelo.

Dang that worm I don’t know how I didn’t catch the little bugger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 158C36A9-DF2A-4944-AD4A-4A077B7F3343.jpg (348.7 KB, 93 views)
Old May 10, 2019   #3501
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Picked my first tomato today. A 9 oz Big Brandy that started to blush.

JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #3502
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I have about 30 tomato plants of different varieties. I have two Roma plants. I have had to cull over half of the tomatoes from the Roma's because of BER. I have only had one tomato from the other 28 plants develop it and that was early on. Same potting mix, watering, fertilizing, etc. Any advise, thoughts, or help?

Last edited by JaxRmrJmr; May 10, 2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 10, 2019   #3503
PlainJane

I ran into the same issue when I tried to grow Jaune Flamme 3 years ago. It drove me nuts.

I never figured out why and never tried to grow that tomato again.
Old May 10, 2019   #3504
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Hey PlainJane,

How much and how often are you feeding your plants TTF? I am mixing 1 oz per gallon and giving each plant 1/2 gallon per week.
Old May 10, 2019   #3505
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Hey PlainJane,

How much and how often are you feeding your plants TTF? I am mixing 1 oz per gallon and giving each plant 1/2 gallon per week.
I’m doing roughly the same, but I’m thinking of stepping up to twice per week, slightly more diluted as the weather has turned hot now.

Trying to get max harvest in the month or so of good growing weather we have left, lol!
Old May 17, 2019   #3506
PlainJane

Pulled a couple of whoppers as I’m afraid they’ll split if left on the vines.
Queen of the Sea (right) and Black Brandywine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FA92932C-1B17-4ED1-9C7F-130A5ABECE57.jpg (333.3 KB, 87 views)
Old May 18, 2019   #3507
PlainJane

Eggplant Prosperosa and red noodle beans.

We have a major heatwave on the way so I’m spending part of this weekend mixing more 5-1-1 to top off all the tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F64AE745-7F15-4195-8E09-4DB796030331.jpg (535.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg EEA7D433-885D-442E-82E0-D4F11E751C74.jpg (612.9 KB, 82 views)
Old May 21, 2019   #3508
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Pulled a couple of whoppers as I’m afraid they’ll split if left on the vines.
Queen of the Sea (right) and Black Brandywine.
Looks good.
Old May 25, 2019   #3509
PlainJane

Attachment 87722Carbon is really loading up. Glad the humidity has stayed low as he is disease prone in my garden. As usual there will be a few ‘ugly’ fruit but I love the taste.
The striped tomato sharing the container is Primary Colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62AA5234-24FE-4A7C-A832-0ABCCAB24AA4.jpg (601.1 KB, 57 views)
Old May 30, 2019   #3510
PlainJane

Green Bee loaded with fruit...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66749BE1-5DA7-4483-80DF-06310D142F12.jpg (451.5 KB, 42 views)