Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 27, 2018   #1
Minnesota Mato
Tomatovillian™

Default Gezahnte x Aunt Ruby German Green

I am growing out a cross of Gezahnte x Aunt Ruby German Green in the f2. I have around 50 plants and wonder what are the odds of each color. Not sure the skin color on either plant but the Gezahnte looks pink to me. If the argg has yellow skin I would think you could get red, pink, yellow, Green , purple or black but calculating the odds is more than I want to tackle
Minnesota Mato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

On Mendelian ratios alone...
Red flesh is going to be your dominant trait in the f2 and should be doing its thing in about 3/4 of your 50 F2's (37.5). 1/4 of those would be gf/gf so a black (purple or brown depending on skin color) (9.375). Subtract the blacks from the red fleshed and you get 28 red or pink, 9 purple or brown.
The remaining 12.5 are either yellow/white or gwr (again 1/4 of the 12 or 13).

So by Mendelian reckoning I get 3 green, 10 yellow or white, 9 purple or brown, 28 red or pink.
I could be wrong.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote