Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2017   #1
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Default Using Fox Farms Liquid Big Bloom

All,

I'm new here, new to tomato gardening and have four beauties in the ground since March 23rd. I put them in good soil, filled hole with good soil, compost and lime.

They are healthy, but not explosive growth that I've seen in some plants. I just started feeding them today, with liquid Fox Farms Big Bloom.

Is this a good idea? Any tips or recommendations on fertilizing?

Thanks!
EarlyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

If you look at laurels heirloom tomatos website, she has a good section on fertilization. She does include using the big bloom in her program.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #3
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the lead.
Old May 3, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Big Bloom periodically on peppers and toms. Frankly, I don't see much difference, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one. And it certainly doesn't hurt.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Most of your big bloom items(wording)are made to infuse at the periods when flowering is desired for that time period of some varietys that can benefit from the flowering cycle( marijuana buds,mangoe,maters nuts you name it)Potasium is usually the go to vector for flowering(pollinization ).Where nitrogen is used for foliage growth,the bloomers will make for more flowers ,hence more product . Mind you some plants are all flower so as constant fertilization will get you those envious stares from your neighbors.I jump my cherrys and get massive flowers,mater sets.win win.
Old May 4, 2017   #6
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Big Bloom has no nitrogen which I know is for foliage, so I hope I didn't put it on too soon. The plants are still rather small. However, the bottle says it's for "all stages of growth."
Old May 4, 2017   #7
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've experimented with a lot of fertilizers including the Fox Farm Trio.

According to FF, Big Bloom is suppose to be used as a companion to Grow Big and then Tiger Bloom for later stages.

However, the really good tomato growers like AKMARK and others here, don't seem to ever use any 'BLOOM' products even though they are sold to induce flowering.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, flowering IN CANNABIS.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Seems a bit diluted (by a little I mean very), for its price, I would say. Besides that, seems pretty good formulation, should help, that's for sure. But some good old organic fertilizer mixed with the soil should be even better.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #10
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Expensive product that you may not need. Soil analysis would help to know what is going on, but the big bloom would be fine closer to fruit set.

More info on type, location, weather, etc, could also help with replies. I mean, "Explosive growth" is subjective and could be good or bad.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #11
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I 'm in Los Angeles and so far we've had a cool Spring, meaning with day temps averaging in the low '70s. We've had a couple of weekends in the high '80s which immediately saw good changes to the plants in terms of a growth spurt and more vigor. But the plants, while healthy, just don't seem to be rocking and rolling. I'm already getting some flowers, but on plants that are only about 18" high.

I wonder if that's normal and if the Big Bloom is worthwhile. I appreciate your mention of the cost. I may finish off this bottle and move to some side dressing with solid organic fertilizer.
Old May 5, 2017   #12
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had that kind of weather lol...

The type of tomato plant could be an issue. Different varieties grow at different rates.

Where they started from seed or purchased as started plants? 18" seems slow for started plants, but great if started from seed.

Are you doing any pruning? Are the plants in partial shade?
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2017   #13
EarlyBird
Tomatovillian™

These are: San Marzano Redorta, Amos Coli, African Queen and Rosella Crimson Dwarf. All started plants when I put them in, but they were small, like 5" tall.

I think maybe they're not getting quite as much hours of direct sunlight as I expected the spot to get, about 8 hours total.