Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 3, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm always experimenting, but greensand has won a permanent spot in all my recipes. It is a mined mineral from areas where sea water was trapped and dried up over time.

In addition, this year my beds, which are mostly made from old cow manure, will get rock phosphate and tomatotone. I have an ez-flo hooked up to the drip, so I can experiment with it, mostly to see what will clog my drip tape and what won't. Molasses should be ok. I am looking at Superthrive as a seaweed product and another product called Mushroom Stuff that is a mushroom extract. They are expensive, but I am hoping to make a tiny amount go a long way by using them in the fertilizer injector.

I'm also going to try an aerated compost tea in the injector. The hard part will be filtering it enough so that it doesn't clog everything.

I also found RV water filters at Menards for $20. They attach to a garden hose and can be plumbed in a series. So this year my drip system will get filtered water. It may not be the greatest filter in the world, but it will be an upgrade from none at all.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; February 3, 2015 at 03:51 PM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #17
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I put crushed eggshells in even though it is not scientifically proven to be beneficial. My grandmother and mother did it and it is paying homage to those that taught me to love gardening. I also put in worm casting because I am a great believer in their benefits. And I also put in two plain asprin to help prevent diseases. It may or may not work but it can't hurt.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #18
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Just the plant.
Old February 3, 2015   #19
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I first fill the hole s with water and let it drain. Then sprinkle About a tablespoon each of Epsom's salts and a granular organic fertilizer into each hole and then plant deep, backfill and firm in. My transplants are generally quite large so they are tied in to a stake and caged at planting time.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2015   #20
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Compost and a handful of Tomato Tone.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #21
4season
Tomatovillian™

I plan to add some mumsey mix this year, never have tried it before but some like it.
Not sure if by volume or weight.
1 bone meal
1 corn meal
1/2 powdered milk
1/4 or 1/2 Epsom salt depending on whose recipe you read. I may read Charles Wilber's book, How to Grow World Record Tomatoes again for ideas.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #22
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan&Jayne View Post
Loren Nancarrow said on youtube "If you do nothing else, I want you to do this....we want to give each plant a cup of agricultural gypsum". He says if will prevent blossom end rot.
Would 'recycled drywall work just as well?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #23
4season
Tomatovillian™

Default what do you put in your tomato hole

I would not use wallboard, it may have glues and additives that are harmful.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #24
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Would 'recycled drywall work just as well?

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Cha...ths/Gypsum.pdf
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #25
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
This topic has been kicked around T'ville since 2006. It has been a while since this topic has come up so enjoy the answers. I put in the hole a tomato plant and the dirt that came from the hole and top it off with some water.
That is what I used to do back in Indiana. It will be a few years before I can get away with that here though. Soil is too poor.

So for now, compost and dirt and a bit of slow release dry organic ferts..watered with compost tea and inoculated with mycorrhizal fungi. All to stimulate the biology to heal the soil. So that one day here too I can just dig a hole and drop the seedling in.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #26
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

A hand full of composted cow manure. 1 crushed egg shell, and 2 Jobes tomato spikes.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #27
charley
Tomatovillian™

One fish in the bottom with a handful of fire place ash 2 handfuls of home made compost then goes the worm castings and tomatoe tone then mycorrhizal fungi then the plant and fill in around the plant with more compost
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #28
marthahill
Tomatovillian™

Well, since I am new here and I see many of you are in similar zones to mine I will add my nickel`s worth here. I add a bit of commercial fertilizer worked in well, then the tomato, topped with a couple of TBSP of epsom salts worked around on top of the soil. The entire garden is amended each year with horse manure so little is needed. I do not water if the soil is moist. Too much water at planting time makes the roots happy to be where they are,,by not watering they will begin to spread faster in search of water and I think that makes a stronger root system. But that's just my opinion.
marthahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Soil plant and water.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #30
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Soil plant and water.
Worth
One day Worth. One day I dream of being able to do that again like I used to do in Indiana in my youth. Makes it SOOOOO much easier.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote