Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 17, 2008   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default It's Saturday Night - and the Temperature is Down to 90

We've had an oppressive heat wave in Northern California, breaking all historic records that set in Thursday. 102 Thursday, 101 on Friday, and 99 today. The promising news is that tomorrow, we should "only" hit 86.

I've had a lot of flowers that were directly exposed to the Sun turn brown and fall off in droves. Fortunately, the flowers that were leaf shaded appear to be hanging in there. Many of the plants have added 3" in growth since the heat wave set in, so some good has come of it. I just hope this isn't a harbinger of things to come this Summer.

The 2 Stupice are the early winners with 14 good sized tomatoes on one plant and 26 on the other plant.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008   #2
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

It's 7:18pm and is 90 degrees here too. Darn this heat. Some of my plants are wilting in the afternoon and the chicks are too hot in the brooder. I had to put them outside today but must now round them up to go back in for the night. It hit 115 inside that building today!
Old May 18, 2008   #3
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

That is unbelievable. Usually it is hotter down south than up north. Must be a temperature inversion do to global warming.

Barb,

It is actually not much,if at all, cooler in Pasadena compared to Riverside. The chikens would be cooking here as well.

Vince
, who just bought three squash plants to put into pots and started bush beans today even though his small yard is a jungle infested with tomato plants .
Old May 19, 2008   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

And the heat wave is now in Texas. High of 99 today. Cooling off to mid 90's into Thursday. Glad I started early this year.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote