Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2008   #1
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Default Maters out in Zone 4 Crazy??

Well last night it got down to 40 degrees and only one of my heatwaves is looking a little purple this evening all the rest seem to be looking good. I also took down a bunch of nasty buck thorn and decided to put 3 plants in a shady spot just for an experiment since space is at a premimum for me being in a townhouse. Due to unforseen circumstances NAR (no germination) and Indian Stripe (Think had dampening off) I slightly revised the list for this year.

The first pic is from left to right and curving around, Ed's Millenium, Black Krim (store bought was suppose to be Indian Stripe), Spudakee, Cherokee Green.

The Second pic is from left to right Brandyboy F1, KBX, and Mexico (was suppose to be NAR)

The thrid pic is of my upper deck which now has 3 Heatwave 2 plants instead of 2 heatwave's and one Mexico

The fourth, fith and sixth pics are up close at my 3 heatwaves.

The seventh pic is an experiment with removeing he buck thorn and digging three holes and planting from left to right Brandyboy F1, Tomato Tumbler (wife nixt the hanging basket idea), and KBX. Figured it was worth a shot.

Very cool spring this year but the 10 is looking good for me last night's 40 degrees looks to be the coldest it will get so if I survived that I am in business!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left 4.jpg (192.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Right 3.jpg (169.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Upper 3.jpg (148.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Upper left3.jpg (39.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg upper middle.jpg (170.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Upper right.jpg (194.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Shady spot.jpg (207.3 KB, 12 views)
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008   #2
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully it's not crazy, as I planted about half of my tomatoes out in the garden this evening. I hope to plant most of the rest(except for some late starts) out tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. I checked a 10 day forecast for this area, and if I recall correctly, the lowest nighttime forecasted low was around 40 F. I realize the 10 day forecast may not be real accurate, but am giving it a go. If frost threatens I figure I'll think of something to protect my 40+ tomato plants. I should add that my tomatoes have been hardened off by spending most of the last two weeks outside in the daytime, and some nights out as well.
I don't recommend planting this early to others in central MN, as it can be quite risky. You'll have to decide for yourself. Good luck!
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #3
Elayne
Tomatovillian™

Nighttime temps here are still in the 30's. I hope to get my plants out in Walls of Water this weekend since it is suppose to be in the 70's. It's been a cold cold spring in Wyoming!
Old May 15, 2008   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

This has been the coldest spring in northern MN in about the last 10 years. I'm usually chomping at the bit to get mine in the ground, but this year the ground temps are just too cold and I'm sure we will have more frosts at night before June. We've barely been in the 60's much, mostly 50's. and nights in the 30's. Today was the first 70F temp this year. Sure hope the next two weeks bring a big change. Oh well, at least I have more time to get the beds in shape.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #5
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking of planting a few out here this weekend. We've been pretty cool at night but slowly but surely the nights are warming up and tonight it's lovely out there.

Currently at 11 pm it's 14°C/57.2°F and the low is supposed to be 9°C/48.2°F. The long range forecast looks pretty promising (but I'll only be planting ones I have duplicates of).

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #6
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Looked at my tomatoes this morning and all is looking good except for some sunburn on one of my heatwave plants and one of my back-up heatwave plants. They were slightly smaller then the other so they may nothave gotten as much direct sun as the others. Only 2+ months for fruit
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote