Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2008   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Aunt Ginny's Purple

I am really beginning to believe this variety was customized for my area. Right now, it leads all other large fruited varieties for set fruit(7 for sure and several more possibles). This is the second time out of three that this has been the case. It seems to be slightly heat tolerant. Maybe I am just lucky with this one. Better to be lucky than good. It also tastes great.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #2
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I've really been interested in this variety and I'm glad you've posted about it.
I HAVE to grow it next season.

Good growing, Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

AGP does well for me here too. So far, it has always delivered for me in terms of productivity and taste. This year makes the third I've grown it, I think.

Last year, it didn't get set out until my last wave of planting (late March) and still managed to eventually give me a boatload of tasty fruit.

In 2006, the productivity was amazing. I grew it in a large container (20 gal), and think I ended up picking around 50 fruit or so. Maybe more, I forget.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

First year for me and so far so good. Looks to be a healthy plant with flowers. Can't wait for it.

How did it taste for you guys?

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
How did it taste for you guys?
IMO, it's a real winner as to taste, more specifically -- dependable, consistent taste for me in a variety of weather conditions. Drought and 106-110 deg temps to constant rain and little sun. If I had to "rank" it, I'd say it has always been an 8.5 for me (at least). Very juicy, superb BLT tomato.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just an interesting bit of background.

AGP was listed for only ONE year in the SSE Yearbook and if it weren't for Bill Minkey, who scans closely looking for newly listed varieties, we wouldn't have it today. It was listed by Rick Burkhart of Indianapolis, IN whose family had been growing it for about 25 years.

So had Bill not spotted it and gotten seeds and reoffered it it would have died a slow death. And pity that b'c it's a great variety.
Old May 13, 2008   #7
creister
Tomatovillian™

I just went out and the count is already up to 10. AGP also seems to be very resiliant to the bugs and disease. When I grew it two years ago, it was the last one with fruit and also the last one to succumb to mites.

AGP seems to blossom fairly early for me, and has lots of flowers. It is a really nice to look at plant. I can't describe it any better than Suze. I also shared some at work and everybody really liked it.

The kicker for me was that I grew it one other year and didn't get a fruit. So, don't give up on these varieties. That was my first year growing from seed, and I made some crucial mistakes.
Old May 13, 2008   #8
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Last year, in a record setting hot and dry summer in KY, AGP was my most productive variety out of approximately 50 differerent varieties plus great taste. It was my first year to grow it. Got about 25 fruits 12-16 oz.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #9
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I grew AGP in 2007. In my notes I have it as very good (one notch down from excellent). Production was on the low side (a ballpark estimate on my part; I don't count fruit). The fruits averaged about 16 oz. The plant was large and healthy. It had the largest leaves I've ever seen on a tomato plant. Some were the size of my hand.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008   #10
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've grown AGP since 2001 and love it. It's in my top 3 for flavor.
Old May 14, 2008   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

it is also one of my favs for flavor, but it was not very productive in my garden, even in one of the best tomato years.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #12
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Can someone post pics of it? I'm getting interested in growing it next year!
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #13
creister
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any pics, but if you go to the plant files at dave's garden, I believe there are some.

It is large potato leaf plant. It has always easily outgrown my 5ft. cages. Fruits are pink and around a pound, give or take a few ounces, at least for me.
Old May 16, 2008   #14
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Jenn,

you can find some pictures at TOMATObase - http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...nny%27s_Purple

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Aunt Ginny's Purple (Suze)

Aunt Ginny's Purple (Suze)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote