Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2008   #1
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Default Zone 6/7 - we're in !

Hey everyone -

Over the course of last week,
I slowly got my tomatoes in the ground and potted up.

Just checking in to see where everyones at?

Hope all is well,

~ Tom

ps. we're super excited !

2008 Start (just a few of the "starts"):

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008   #2
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Lookin' good, Tom!

It's a great feeling to get everything in the ground. Now the hard part begins...the loooong wait for fruit!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008   #3
moulman
Tomatovillian™

Those seedlings look pretty small to be in the garden just yet. Do you always plant them that small? I always shoot for 8inches +
Old May 12, 2008   #4
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Here on the cusp of Zone 6B/7A but considerably farther south, I have had everything in the ground since April 16.
Most of the plants are looking really good and have set buds. The one lagger is Mortgage Lifter Estler's which was in distress when it was planted. I expect it to snap back in the next couple of weeks. We are having a cool snap right now. Unfortunately, this is when first fruit set usually begins. Temps were in the 40's this morning but should be in the mid-50's from here on so maybe I will still get a good fruit set.

I have 26 plants of 25 varieties in the ground. I am chomping at the bit for the first taste of a homegrown tomato from my own garden this year. From past experience, I would guess the first ripe one will be picked around the last week of June.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008   #5
natural
Tomatovillian™

We've been transplanting into the ground little by little over the past 2 weeks. It's been rough so far. We received a very late frost (for us) on April 30th that nipped some plants.

Next we have had massive mole/vole attacks, that, in addition to the usual tunnels, they have been actually breaking the plants by chewing the stems underground. Argggh!

Now has come the wind. I cannot remember 2 days of wind that has been this strong in Georgia. I probably have 20 broken plants. I have not lost any of the plants that we had tied to the trellis, only the ones we had not yet tied up.(Note to self, don't slack off on the tying)

I have no problems with the frost and the wind taking plants, but the moles/voles have me whipped.

Still hoping for a good season.
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #6
bladekeeper
Tomatovillian™

I've had mine out for about 3 weeks now (zone 6a). I have 77 plants of 37 varieties and 1 compost pile volunteer. I've planted in 29 homemade EB's and the rest in large pots configured as pseudo EB's. They've been growing great, large lush foliage, just beautiful. Until, the high incessant wind broke about 14 of them the past couple of days. I've been behind on the staking/caging. Fortunately, the broken ones should rebound ok (I hope).

I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy will all of the EB's arranged in staggered rows in my back yard. I'm sure they'll enjoy the homegrown fruit when it's ready. : )

Bryan
bladekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Mine went in on the 4th at home and on the 5th at work. Temps have been in the high 70's low 80's since the 1st of May. Highly unusual for this time of year so I got about a 3 week jump on the normal plantout and I'm not complaining. Ami
Old May 13, 2008   #8
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking to finish up a few odds and ends when I get home tonight and then we're done.

After I make a trip to N. NJ this weekend, all the seedlings will be off my location. Always a relief when you get to this point.
Let these little birds fly on their own;they've been babysat long enough

~ Tom
Old May 13, 2008   #9
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

I’m in there… for the most part.

I still have a few plants left over from the greenhouse experiment and the plant sale here at work that I’m planning on adding to the garden some time this week. It’s been very windy here for the past few days and these plants aren’t in the best shape. I thought I would let it calm down a bit before throwing them to the elements although I know that’s the only thing that will bring them around.

I couldn’t get the 2 strains of dwarfs from the dwarf project to germinate. I did end up with several of the Witty’s from last years grow out that I selected a bronze/purple fruit from which to save seed and grow again this year for further selection. Several Cherokee Purples, and a few other old stand by’s as well as a few new ones. No germination on Tom’s Yellow Wonder so I’ll be going without that again this year. I had germination last year but the plant did not do well. I guess third season will be the charm!

Already have fruit set on Kimberly so ripe fruit will be before the end of June.

Mater, I might even beat you to it this year

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #10
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Also zone 6 (NY)
What I have as of today:

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

D - I'm disappointed in you!

Posting pictures of big tomatoes without telling us what variety? Really cruel!

The top closeup has the slightly lumpy look of hearts, and the bottom closeups are starting to lose some of the early darker green color, possibly a yellow ... I'll take a stab at Tom's Yellow Wonder?

So, do tell! What are you tempting us with?

Dee
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

RIK -

What a bummer re: TYW! A wimpy plant last season??? No germination???
I'm shocked ... stunned even! I'm gonna have to mail you and Carolyn fruits this season!

As for me - I'm just stressing just a little bit.
Had 40 MPH winds with pouring cold rain this weekend which my plants did not like. They are just kind of moping there for the moment with wind burn.

But with better weather ahead, we should be fine.
I have kept a few extras: just in case.

~ Tom
Old May 14, 2008   #13
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Don't sweat it Tom, they'll make it through just fine as long as you don't get another frost. We've had some powerful wind gusts here over the past week as well.

Not your fauld on the TYW, just my bad luck I guess. Will try again next year though!

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #14
freeze12
Tomatovillian™

pThose are some GREAT looking Tomatoes!! I am in: Zone 5 "Buffalo,NewYork" and it has been a bit chilly here at night to plant mine yet. My plants are started in the house and are approx. 3 foot tall now,so whe going in the ground I will have to plant the Tomato plant sideways to have a better root system.
I have been rototilling the ground a least once a week to warm up the soil. Anyone know what safe temperatures a Tomato plant can take?? ....Thanks!!!! 8)
Old May 19, 2008   #15
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm no expert - but in my opinion tomatoes can "handle" temps of 40 - 45 (with no protection) - under that would be questionable ... Of course at 50 they are just kind of "there" and really doing much. You could always give it a "try".

As for me, we're finally "all in". The rest of the dwarfs are out and all of the potted projects. Now the wait begins!

Hope all is well, ~ Tom