Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2008   #1
rzr
Tomatovillian™

Default First This Year for me: JD's special Ctex

From planting in my DIY Earth box to ripened: 49 days. Cutting it tonite, will add picture later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2715.jpg (140.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2716.jpg (161.9 KB, 67 views)
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Wow, 49 days is super early. I pulled my first one yesterday at 67 days. Is this your first time growing the variety? It is one that I like very well and will be slicing mine in the next couple days. Good growing.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #3
rzr
Tomatovillian™

Yep, first time growing Ctex. I grew Cherokee purple among a few last year and it tasted great, but I had low yields for some reason, like 8 max on a plant. Of course, right now the Ctex has about 12 to 14.
Old May 2, 2008   #4
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing JD's Special C-Tex for the first time as well. I received as a free gift from a SSE listed member. I'm glad I did, as I've read many favorable comments about it. Please let us know your opinion of it. Being I'm from MN, it will be awhile before I can savor one.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

JD's is similiar in taste to Cherokee Purple. Thats why I am growing both this year for comparison. Looking forward to that day
Old May 2, 2008   #6
rzr
Tomatovillian™

I just tried the tomato, is was mushy! I think I picked it too early, I meant to pick it as soon as it started to ripen. I picked it when I saw a slight pink, but I guess I should have waited longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2718.jpg (237.5 KB, 79 views)
Old May 2, 2008   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzr View Post
I just tried the tomato, is was mushy! I think I picked it too early, I meant to pick it as soon as it started to ripen. I picked it when I saw a slight pink, but I guess I should have waited longer.
The darn thing looks good to me.

I'm only and hour from you, I will meet you in Elgin and take it off of your hands.

I have a few JD's C Tex plants also.
Now if I can just find them in the garden.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #8
rzr
Tomatovillian™

Yea it was no good, worse than HEB sad to say. Next time I will make sure it is at least half way ripe before I pick, one or two should be ripening next week.
Old May 2, 2008   #9
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Looks underripe to me. Although they say the first tomato isn't as good as the rest.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

I am also growing this for the first time. I am curious how it might do when we get low 90's and 60's at night when the humidity is low. I am also growing Cherokee Purple and will compare as well.

rzr, I have had CP plants loaded with 20 + fruits in some years and only make 7 or so in others. I haven't figured out why yet. Also, most years wonderful taste, and one year they seemed somewhat watery. At this point, CP is a must grow as it is usually productive and tasty. Good luck down in P-ville.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #11
kktwahoo
Tomatovillian™

Duane, you sent me these seeds, and one did come up, so we will grow this summer and see how it tastes. Thanks again.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." From In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
kktwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008   #12
CLa
Tomatovillian™

rzr, the mushy thing sounds to me like what happens to the first few tomatoes that went through partial cold conditions. In other words that tomato may have had a battle with that last cold snap that swept through. But, I have also noticed that always, my first few cherry tomatoes taste mushy, and the better tomatoes are usually after the first one or two. Possibly the plant was not ready to support it like it should have been supported in some way. I have even heard my microbiology teacher say she pulls any tomatoes that start on that first trust when the plants stems are very thin, claiming that those early bloom tomatoes wont be supported by the plant enough until the plant gets larger. Not sure if that comes with her experience or what, but I think there is at least some truth to the fact that some of the first maters are often mushy. They are for me anyway. But it is just that first or second one for me, like the first two sungolds were mushy, the 3rd one was on though, tasted perfect.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that your next one is much better, or some of the later ones. I hope that is the case anyway.

Oh yeah also, as Feldon mentioned, It looks like it is not completely ripe, almost there though. However, an under-ripe tomato should be crispy I would think, in which case that crispness turns to juicy, not mushy. I think picking it early is not your problem. But I would pick them when there is a little more color than just a first blush, unless you start having a bird problem etc..
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Not one fruit from last years fall growout was mushy. The first fruit was good but the ones after were indeed better. Im thinking your future fruit will be better, keep us posted
Old May 14, 2008   #14
rzr
Tomatovillian™

I just tried my 3rd Ctex today and it was very good. The 2nd one was still slightly mushy tasting, not as bad as the first.
Old May 15, 2008   #15
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

How could an under-ripe tomato be mushy? My under-ripes tomatoes are rocks.

Maybe an over-ripe tomato could be mushy - unless the consistency of the flesh of this tomato is ... well ... mushy ...

What's the story with this tomato?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote