Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2008   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Pollination but no fruit?

I know I read about this either here or at GW, but don't remember much. Some of my blooms have the wide spread calyx, and the thickened stem, and little green "tomato", but no enlargement of little green "tomato". Why does this happen? In all appearance, these look like they should mature into fruit. Been that way for a few weeks.

I think last year, I actually had a few turn into a tomato, but most did nothing but stay the same the whole season. More fertilizer, more water, or more luck? I am puzzled.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
I know I read about this either here or at GW, but don't remember much. Some of my blooms have the wide spread calyx, and the thickened stem, and little green "tomato", but no enlargement of little green "tomato". Why does this happen? In all appearance, these look like they should mature into fruit. Been that way for a few weeks.

I think last year, I actually had a few turn into a tomato, but most did nothing but stay the same the whole season. More fertilizer, more water, or more luck? I am puzzled.
The little 'tomato" you refer to at the base of the blossom is the tomato ovary and it doesn't develop into a tomato unless there is pollination, not as you say...pollination but no fruit.

The most common reason for lack of pollination in your growing area is high sustained heat that denatures the pollen and maked it non viable and if your area is humid, that also can lead to clumped pollen which is not effective.
Old May 22, 2008   #3
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried thumping the stalks with your finger. I saw this lady at a tomato farm and all she ever did was go to each plant and used a electric battery operated toothbrush.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've been using an electric toothbrush as well. I don't know if it makes a difference, but fruitset is decent this year.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

I usually shake/quickly tap the base of each plant once and many times twice a day. I will tap and shake the individual trusses if they don't shake and wiggle when I do the whole plant. I've had good luck with this the last few years.

The plant is a JD's Special. My other 3 JD's seem to readily set fruit, as they have several on them.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote