Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 30, 2018   #46
mannalon
Tomatovillian™

The Stick plants look really cool!
mannalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #47
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Garden pics from 6-10-18. All plants doing very well- GGWT is almost at the 7 foot mark on my stake. This year, I did not pinch suckers in order to keep vertical height in check. I recently added two replacement plants from my TSWV victims- Anna Russian and Kellogg's Breakfast. The Anna Russian is not going to make it, but KB is going to town! The 4 Crowder Pea plants in the front are sending runners all over my tomato baskets, so I gave them a basket of their own Flower shown are Karma Pink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Window View 6-10-18.jpg (187.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Front View 6-10-18.jpg (210.0 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg Karma Pink Flowers 6-10-18.jpg (98.8 KB, 155 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #48
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Love Kong really good. Have you been able to identify some of the ones hat lost but heir I’d?
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018   #49
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Hey Karen- the three PL plants I had to choose from- Rebel Yell, Lucky Cross, and Daniel Burson- I lost one to TSWV. Of the two left, I have great fruit set on one, but only one on the other. I won't know until it's ripe.

From the RL side, I have identified GGWT- the fruit are striped even when green. The remaining possibilities- DLH, NPS, Bear Creek, Terhune 5.42- well, I'll just have to wait. Kind of exciting, actually. And one strange thing- one RL plant is a plum sized tomato that is VERY productive, I believe a seed mix up. I pulled one fruit to ripen so that I can post it's color for feedback in this community. Karma Pink is doing great, with at least 30 fruit set. I'm sad about Zena's Gift, but I will most certainly try it again next year!
Old June 10, 2018   #50
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have grown all three of those PL plants. I may be wrong but my guess is that your productive plant will turn out to be Daniel Burson.
Old June 11, 2018   #51
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I would agree with you MissS.....Rebel Yell has never been particularly productive. But I've read feedback on Daniel Burson that notes great productivity. I have a cluster of 6 large tomatoes on the lower truss, and a series of others that are swelling halfway up the plant. Looking forward to the outcome! Thanks!
Old June 11, 2018   #52
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I have grown all three of those PL plants. I may be wrong but my guess is that your productive plant will turn out to be Daniel Burson.
Me too. And I bet Lucky Cross was the sick one. DB is so delicious, I hope for you that it is that one. Well then again, RY is fabulous tasting too.I never got to taste LC, it got sick too fast.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #53
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Me too. And I bet Lucky Cross was the sick one. DB is so delicious, I hope for you that it is that one. Well then again, RY is fabulous tasting too.I never got to taste LC, it got sick too fast.
Marsha- funny you should mention that. Of the two PL plants I have left, one of them is rather sickly and unproductive- it has had yellow wilty leaves pretty much since the beginning. I wonder if that is LC? It has only one large tomato on the bottom. The other plant is stout and has perhaps 15 gorgeous fruit on it.
Old June 11, 2018   #54
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Rebel Yell quite a tall robust plant. Daniel Burson is a nice stocky plant that is on the short side. Lucky Cross is a poor performer of delicious fruit. I think that your sickly plant is LC and if your other plant is nice and stocky with good fruit set, it would most likely be the delicious Daniel Burson.

Keep us posted about your mystery maters.
Old June 13, 2018   #55
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Rebel Yell quite a tall robust plant. Daniel Burson is a nice stocky plant that is on the short side. Lucky Cross is a poor performer of delicious fruit. I think that your sickly plant is LC and if your other plant is nice and stocky with good fruit set, it would most likely be the delicious Daniel Burson.

Keep us posted about your mystery maters.
Thank you MissS for your advice on these varieties- indeed, the productive plant is not nearly as tall as my GGWT, DLH, or Aker's WV plant. I also noticed good fruit set on the second and third trusses above the large lower cluster. The fruit are light green in color, with no dark green shoulders at all. Largest looks to be about 12-14 oz. at this point.
Old June 24, 2018   #56
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

After coming home from the beach, my first ripe fruit definitely appears to be Paul Robeson, as I only planted one purple PL plant. They were caught at the bottom between the tomato basket wires, so they started to burst prematurely- but they were delicious! The plant is on the shorter side, and appears to be very resistant to most garden illnesses so far...Next picture is a surprise unknown "black" plum tomato, very productive, and quite tasty. Any ideas? Finally, my 4 Crowder pea plants are taking over the corner of my garden, and I have given them a tomato basket to climb upon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paul Robeson 6-24-18.jpg (104.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown Plum 6-24-18.jpg (49.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Crowder Peas 1 6-24-18.jpg (181.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Crowder Peas Pods 1.jpg (103.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Crowder Peas Pods 2.jpg (118.4 KB, 62 views)
Old June 24, 2018   #57
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

P Robeson is RL. Curve ball for the sleuthing endeavors.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018   #58
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Well Gerardo, who knows what it is? The first RL/PL variants were noticed in 2008, and in 2016 there was a thread on a potential crossed Paul Robeson. I got these seeds from someone that got them in a MMMM swap last year, I think. But boy did they taste good!!
Old June 25, 2018   #59
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Well Gerardo, who knows what it is? The first RL/PL variants were noticed in 2008, and in 2016 there was a thread on a potential crossed Paul Robeson. I got these seeds from someone that got them in a MMMM swap last year, I think. But boy did they taste good!!
If it tastes good who cares, screaming viking it will be.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2018   #60
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
If it tastes good who cares, screaming viking it will be.
Gerardo, I was thinking the exact same thing.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote