Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommended large micro or hanging basket variety?

I'm somewhat disappointed with my micros this year. I realize they are small plants, but they are just delivering a few tomatoes every few days. I have the following this season:

Red Robin
Vilma
Aztek
Mohamed
Linda

Linda and Vilma have been the best producers thus far. Linda is a larger micro (maybe mini?) and produces very large cherries -- nearly 2" in diameter. They are actually sliceable (barely) for a BLT. And Mohamed (which would win a contest for the best foliage of the bunch) is very late. I got Dwarf Pink Passion tomatoes before Mohamed, and DPP was planted several weeks later. All these were planted in 12" plastic hanging baskets.

I've grown a number of hanging basket varieties such as Tumbler in the past, and they produce far better, but then are larger plants and are difficult to keep in my cold frame until the weather is settled in early May.

So -- any suggestions? And maybe for a somewhat more compact hanging basket type?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote