Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old September 5, 2010   #16
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I dug up 5 plants of my TPS experiment and found few 2 inch potatoes in 3 of the plants and 2 plants had just about 1 inch tubers. I boiled one of each to sample the flavor, two of them I like better than the rest. Will save all for planting next spring, I am particularly interested in the pinkish skin, white with blue specs inside that tasted very good boiled even thou the color faded once boiled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.JPG (49.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg TPS potato flesh.JPG (42.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg cooked.JPG (39.5 KB, 79 views)
Old September 8, 2010   #17
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Wendy,

Those colors are always interesting to folks who have never seen them before. However, as you say, the colors fade after cooking....exactly why I have to discard many of my tens of thousands of clones each year.

But I like what you are doing....sampling some now before increasing them for next year. I hate to take a tuber out of a single hill and eat it when I could replant it. You have to eat it to save it. The better it eats the better it is in the saves.

Growers around here are picky about blue potatoes...it has to be blue. All Blue is not really blue enough..peel the skin back and you have a white undertone. When I had built up some Adirondack Blue in Skagit County, the growers immediately disliked it. But yesterday when I showed a single sample hill of Adirondack Blue crossed to Magic Molly, by guests were saying things like this... Brain full; astonished after seeing things like this today. Two days ago I boiled a single tuber for another guest and it held the color as a boiled potato, a required test.

Yes, I named the potato....Adirondack Magic, honoring the female and male parents in the name. Picture on Twitter somewhere.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2010   #18
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I tried to find a pic of your Adirondack Magic but nothing came across in my search.
Old January 25, 2011   #19
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

TPS seedling tubers for this spring. I have been checking them every week and noticed this past weekend that some are breaking dormancy after 3 months in storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BueTPS_SeedlingTubers2010.jpg (278.5 KB, 62 views)
Old September 18, 2011   #20
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Ok. All these went into a box to get tubers to eat and select for taste but were neglected so size is rather small. I will taste test these and select the ones to grow up next year...
Old October 14, 2011   #21
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

So how do you taste test them Wendy when they look like they've been all mix up.?
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2011   #22
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Richard, I did a poor job with them putting all together in a box. But once they are cleaned (rub the dirt) they are notable different colors. From last year the pink with blue specs was good. I did not like the blues segregated since Tom's are much tastier. The whites round and bicolor mauve/cream will be tasted to decide what to continue. I'll post pictures soon.
Old October 17, 2011   #23
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if you want this thread to be for everybody's TPS results or just Wendy's, so if you want me to start my own I can do that, but here are my TPS best results.

I grew about six Amey x self plants (white russets) and had two very productive hills (from my pespective). i also grew three Skagit Valley Gold (yellow-yellow) x Thumb Nose (purple+white skin w/ white flesh) both are 2N. I got two good hills from those.

I ate the damaged Ameys (I am a very destructive tater digger) and the flavor seemed good to me. I also sacrificed one each from the SVG crosses. I boiled them all together for a taste test.

The day-glow red SVGxTN has YELLOW flesh with creamy texture, and the two-tone has white flesh with normal texture. Flavor seemed good for both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPSbest2011web.jpg (148.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg SVGxTN 2011web.jpg (69.2 KB, 47 views)
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2011   #24
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

This is a TPS post I started to keep my blue segregation progress but I don't see why can't it be a general TPS seedling thread.
I started another for 2011 TPS growing at tatermater pro-boards as well. I enjoy pictures!

That SVG cross is most beautiful.

My Amey X was not selfed...most likely cross to Mule Skinner Blues or Open Pollinated. One of mine resembles Amey but does not look like any of your segregation.

In general my TPS tater yield has been low and small. I had one called Lumper Nordic X be very tasty and pretty.

But this is my most exciting results this year: A blue russet

Old October 17, 2011   #25
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Nice! I don't know if I like blue potatoes any more. They look like dirt clods when I dig them up, and my dirt is mostly clods so digging them is very frustrating.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2011   #26
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hey some very yummy looking spuds there you guys

Boy its tough going looking at those lovely potatoes when what we are eating now are just the left overs from last season,we are now half way through spring and as you can imagine the most of the spuds from out of our shed are now growing shoots,so not the nicest eating,but thank to growing Moie moie which is the best keeping spud at this time of year,we've still got some to keep us going till the new potatoes are ready in about two months,these which are growing in large pots in my tunnelhouse.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2011   #27
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Winter is here for me now Richard, so looking forward to your pictures next!

I got around cleaning potato dirt and selecting the tuber seeds for next year. I have plenty left over for eating, starting with the short dormancy ones.

Note to self: eat the phureja as new potato or freshly dug because they sprout and shrivel after 1 month!
Old October 30, 2011   #28
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

My Andean TPS seedling harvest from 5 gal containers.

Yungay plant 1 has pink eyes and plant 2 has a yellower skin but flesh are basically identical

Suytu Vilquina

One of the UV/Outdoor pens I got failed me and had several containers with a blank label I think they are Huagalina but only one had the label faint but distinguishable.
Old October 30, 2011   #29
OtterJon
Tomatovillian™

Nice harvest! Congrats Those Yungays look Yummy!
OtterJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2011   #30
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

OtterJon, they are buttery, very good flavor. I am still taste tasting to select the ones I like the most for next year.

Last edited by wmontanez; November 27, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote