Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 25, 2017   #1456
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I see you have farmers fingers. But pretty good for that!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017   #1457
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

those high winds yesterday got lake superior roiled up. waves were 12 to 14 ft maybe more crashing in on shore, and break walls. quite a few people went out to the shore to watch the waves. it is an awesome event. some intrepid souls go out surfing when the big waves get rolling. sounds crazy to me. you need a wet suit because the lake water is only around 46 degrees in the summer time.
these type of storms can cause erosion on a big scale. a customer today said her son who lives in marquette lost about 40 feet of his back yard yesterday along with some big pines that got washed out by the surf.
the old saying goes water always wins. that is true when you are talking about the big lake.

todays paper said waves were approaching 20 ft, and expected to reach 25 ft.

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; October 25, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017   #1458
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wow oh wow. that is huge. and someone was surfing on that? craaaazy!
Old October 25, 2017   #1459
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

46° water? Dry suit!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2017   #1460
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default uh oh

it started raining heavy thursday afternoon. friday, still raining that switched to snow early afternoon and continued during the night. we woke up to 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground. some friends 6 miles from us on a hill got a foot of snow. its wet and slushy making the drive around town this morning a sloppy mess. most should be gone within a couple days. i need a few more days of decent weather to get some things done before the long term snow comes.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2017   #1461
bower
Tomatovillian™

Feeling your "uh oh" as we still haven't got all the garlic in, and many garden cleanup chores still waiting. It's tempting Murphy's Law to leave things late... but we're still warmer than normal. Forecasts are seductive though, anything can change unexpectedly.

We usually see our first flakes of snow on Halloween - nothing on the ground mind you, but the HW weather is typically bitter. It's also the day we drop below 10 hours of daylight, so officially winter for the vegetable kingdom. Forecast this time though is 15C (60F) and windy with a chance of showers. I suppose the wind will have to make it hard to walk and tug away those scanty little costumes, which other years are half hidden under a parka.
Meanwhile our run of basically windless days is continuing (nothing over 20 kmh) with highs in the low 50's and no more than a chance of drizzle. So still the end of last week it was downright eerie. Gotta have my breeze to be happy. Will be a good thing though if I can get those garden chores done and done today and Monday, before it starts to blow.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2017   #1462
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A bit later than usual, but we have our first freeze of the year this morning, 28F. I got garlic in last weekend. Only things that need pulling in the garden are marigolds in the cinder block holes. I'll harvest and hang thyme and rosemary this week. The only thing I left in the garden is kale--I'll be using that in soup that I make and freeze sometime soon as well.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2017   #1463
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Had two days in a row with 24Cdeg and the same again is due today, great time of year before it gets too warm, All the frost tender plants are now in the garden

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #1464
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hallowindy here as forecast with a shower or two... in spite of today's rain though, we have had the driest October on record (since 1942, that is 75 years!)
Apologies to whoever got our rain (I know somebody did!)
Old October 31, 2017   #1465
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I fear our snow may be here to stay. I already cleaned off this deck once to bare wood from what came during the weekend, now here are more inches from yesterday, and more expected tomorrow. No sun in the foreseeable forecast and temps just below freezing, with snow flurries predicted every few days. Bah!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #1466
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh, Dee. That is early for winter!
Old October 31, 2017   #1467
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It was in the high 30's for my farmer's market last saturday. Brrr! Standing in an open parking lot for four hours....it was a chilling experience.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #1468
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

yep... cold for everyone it seems. it is cold and windy here today but not snow at least.
Old October 31, 2017   #1469
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Last week when there was a frost advisory, DH & I stripped the garden of tomatoes. In the dark, by flashlight, in the rain, in rapidly falling temps. Over half the time was spent on Post Office Spoonful, stripping trusses, squatting for the low ones, jumping up to reach the top ones. As we did each plant, I thanked them for their good work. It helped to give me closure...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2017   #1470
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Temps have dropped here and we have had some extreme hard rain today that was blowing sideways toward the house.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote