Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2017   #631
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Finally the plant out. 72F today, with 70's all week and lows in the high 40's

Matsu Express.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coletray28may17.jpg (141.8 KB, 69 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #632
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I woke up at 12:30 last night to a heavy thunderstorm and the sound of hail. Fortunately we must have been right on the edge of the hail core as the hail was about the size of a dime and I found no damage in the garden this morning. In the core there was 2" hail so apparently I got lucky again. Whew!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #633
imp
Tomatovillian™

My, look at the great leaves on those babies! Hope your weather holds well for you and you get lots of goodies!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #634
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Finally the plant out. 72F today, with 70's all week and lows in the high 40's

Matsu Express.
Awesome. I know it is tough watching others getting their garden going while waiting for your turn. I hope you have a great year and look forward to seeing your progress.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #635
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Glad most are planted/planting and escaping the weather! Hope we all have a great year.
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #636
bower
Tomatovillian™

Plants look amazing Ricky! They look ready for anything.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #637
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

It is pouring here again. I was so hoping it would not rain tonight so we could finish the planting and weeding with my rotovator. Maybe I will have to break down and spray.
Old May 28, 2017   #638
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Expecting rain tonight, tomorrow, wednesday, thursday and maybe even friday. Get a break on Tuesday they say. I just sprayed everything with copper and hope it dries before the rain gets here. I cut all bad foilage off the tomato plants this morning and tied all the trellised cantaloupes in their own little net bags to the trellis in hopes of not losing any to the winds. The smaller ones I couldn't get to but the bigger ones I was able to tie off and there were nine of them.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #639
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

After almost a week of dry spell , we got about 1/2" of rain yesterday. NOT enough. I've got to water my tomatoes and peppers while the top of soil is wet.

during 90 F plus days, plants take more moisture and additional moisture is lost by evaporation. Mulching doe help. So rain is welcome down here.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #640
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer I sure wish I could send you some of ours. We got another 1.5 inches again last night. It is so wet here it is unbelievable.
Old May 29, 2017   #641
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor lady's son in Austin reported yesterday BIG STORM headed this way headed east.
I told her we wouldn't see a bit of it and would believe it when I saw it.
Here is the deal people here dont seem to understand.
We do not live east of Austin.
We live almost directly 30 miles southeast more or less of Austin.
This would be a 45 degree angle on the map.
This would put us more or less 21.2 miles south of the storm.
Sure enough the Big Storm rolled through north of us.
Trigonometry and weather combined.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #642
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

Rain, rain, rain...

Only seen the sun for a few days this month. It was warmer and more sunny back in February.

The garden is suffering with the cool wet weather. Tomatoes, peppers, beans, and some melons are yellowing and leaves are curling up. Very little growth. I did a test spray of a foliar feeding on some plants yesterday to see if that helps. Hopefully it does not damage the plants further because I'm out of options.

Potatoes are at least still looking good. Had to replant the sweet corn as the first planting rotted in ground. The beans came up sparsely, but enough to get a couple pickings before we replant them later in the year.

Strange though is the 1 Anaheim pepper plant I have is doing the best out of them all. It is green, flowering, and even started producing 1 pepper through this weather. I'm gonna pull the flowers and the pepper though as it's a young plant.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #643
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

We had a bad storm come through last night and our patio is still covered in about 2" of water. Everything is blown around, the cover was taken off the wheel cart and cages are blown over. At least the cages were not being used. It's too wet to take a look at the garden, I can see pansy flowers were blown all over the garden from the wind. I hope the tiny baby cantaloupes I didn't put in a sling are still on the vines out there. I won't be able to take a look until the water goes down because I don't have rain boots, lol. I don't know how much rain we got but hubby's phone kept giving us warnings of flash flooding and extreme weather. It was a strong storm.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #644
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Gardeneer I sure wish I could send you some of ours. We got another 1.5 inches again last night. It is so wet here it is unbelievable.
With clay soil w/ poor drainage too much rain can be a problem. I have experienced that back in Atl, GA. But here , in Southeast NC , with sandy soil rain is not a problem. Even if we get flooded with heavy rain , it will be fine in less than a day. .

Ok. Last night we did get some rain. My gauge indicated about 0.8 ". Not quite enough, since I have not watered my tomatoes in 8 days. So got up at 6am and watered. Wit wet top layer of soil it went down faster. So that should do it for another week. There are some scattered showers in the forecast. But I cannot trust it. Sometimes scattered showers can miss.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #645
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
We had a bad storm come through last night and our patio is still covered in about 2" of water. Everything is blown around, the cover was taken off the wheel cart and cages are blown over. At least the cages were not being used. It's too wet to take a look at the garden, I can see pansy flowers were blown all over the garden from the wind. I hope the tiny baby cantaloupes I didn't put in a sling are still on the vines out there. I won't be able to take a look until the water goes down because I don't have rain boots, lol. I don't know how much rain we got but hubby's phone kept giving us warnings of flash flooding and extreme weather. It was a strong storm.
Dry here, but the temps got more back to a normal high 80's again, thank goodness! Texas is so unpredictable at this time of year.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote