Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2017   #2551
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ella - The cucumbers did well; Thanks again. For some reason, I've never even had a bitter cucumber. I pulled them due to catepillars. Beta Alphas are still my favorite - I really like seeing all the bees too.

Thanks for the info on Matina - I prefer smaller plants; since staking is such an issue; I often get a lot of wind (25MPH sustained is not uncommon, the plants don't even notice 15-16 MPH range).
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2017   #2552
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

These arent good pictures but here we go....

This is one a few weeks ago before pruning.

Below are after pruning...

And it has grown back this much already (see below) and ready for pruning again. Has a ton of blossoms that dont show easily in the picture and still lots of tomatoes on it.

These aren't the same as when I topped them earlier. These are just regular prunings which allow them to put more energy into the fruit and new blossoms and allow more air flow, less disease spread.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; February 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #2553
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

And the sunrise yesterday from my back yard... :-)

Ginny
Old February 23, 2017   #2554
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, are those Cow's tit tomatoes? If yes, please describe their taste, growing habits, ...

Your sunrise is amazing. I can hear the crickets and taste the air.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #2555
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - other than the extreme drought, your other pictures are lovely.

When you get a chance, can you post a picture of what your mature producing plants look like when they are cut back?

RE: Russet Mites - I may have had them other years also; It was most obvious starting with the Dwarf tomatoes with the rugose leaves. They were beautiful looking plants until one day they weren't, stopped setting fruit, and leaves got all crunchy.

This is the scope I bought (uses 1 AA battery) and is even cheaper now ($10.39) than when I bought it for $12.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...detailpages00?

All my spring seedlings got larvae too; and even recently when I trim back leaves, I'm still finding mite larvae.
I ordered that scope. It will be a cool way to help me diagnose issues and teach the kids about nature.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2017   #2556
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella,

Yes that is Cow's Tit. I havent grown many pastes, mostly just a Roma and San Marzano and I like it much better than either of those. My husband loves to slice them for sandwiches since they arent so wet. The taste is mild, not too sweet or tart. Those pictures show one plant that has taken over a whole earthbox and grown into its neighbor plants area. It is a late starter but it has never slowed down once it got going. I can't get exact counts or weights of productions because my neighbors help themselves but this plant has produced easily over 100 tomatoes and its still going gangbusters. I do feed TTF daily and that has helped production on all my plants so thats a part of it.

Anyways they are great for fresh eating also and are not mealy/mushy like a lot of pastes are. This one is on my top 5 list. Some have said it is similar to Opalka which I have seeds for but havent grown. If only I had more space I would grow between 5 to 10 of these and can sauce galore.. :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2017   #2557
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Thanks for the link! I bought the scope. Cant wait to get it and see whats crawling. Will be much more clear than zooming in on pictures from my phone.

Ella,

I saved seeds from the large cows tit in the picture below and have some seedlings growing now. Its probably just a double blossom but hoping maybe the plants will produce big cows Tit like the one in the pic... :-) Worst case I end up with several regular Cows Tit plants... :-)

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; February 23, 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old February 23, 2017   #2558
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny and Jeremy - RE: Scope - you will have to let me know what you think after you use it. I use it every day. I honed my skills by zeroing in on a penny. Then I was able to transfer to leaves. Now I'm doing stems (from branches). Today, One part of an Aussie plant looked off, I cut it off and it was crawling with those russet mite larvae. Besides some solid dark ones, I've seen translucent russet mites.

Looking back, no wonder why liquid copper never worked and seemed to make things worse.

---------
Ginny - When you use 3 TBLS of TTF, are you still using 1 TBLS per gallon (so 3 Gallons) or did you really up the concentration? Come to think of it, you probably put the 3 TBLS in the reservoir and add water from the hose. Do you have just water days or is every day a feed day?
Old February 23, 2017   #2559
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I didnt up the concentration. Everything I do is loosey goosey based on how the plants respond and not always consistent. In past years I put the fert strip in and supplemented with 1 tablespoon TTF once or twice a week but not every watering when I also had fert strips so it was just a boost..

This past season I decided not to use a fert strip and I had to up the amount of TTF because there was so much fruit and at first it wasnt getting to full size so I upped the TTF to the max recommended plus an extra tablesppon sometimes... lol, and gave them that every day (every watering) and the fruit grew huge. When the plants were smaller they were using about 1 1/2 gallons of water from the reservoir so I put in 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of TTF every watering or so. But now they generally soak up the majority of the water so I put in 3 to 4 tablespoons on most days and then once in a while I will not use any a couple of days per the TTF container instructions. Since the TTF is expensive I am going to go back to using fert strips (10-10-10) and supplementing with TTF rather than depending on it entirely. I do love the results with it and as long as you use something balanced with it like 10-10-10 you dont get ber issues or other inbalances. At least I havent.

I would prefer to mix in a gallon of water and pour in but no time for that so I drop down the hatch directly. Seems to be pretty forgiving and hard to over feed it. But I think you got better results than me this year. But the fert strip and supplementing with TTF is really easy and great results too.

I water every day so every day is a feed day unless its the few days every now and then that I hold off or if my neighbor is watering for me she doesnt feed them.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; February 23, 2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old February 23, 2017   #2560
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - Interesting. If you order 4 Gallons of TTF (can mix and match - just have to email them with your request) it comes out cheaper even though you pay shipping. They sell 4 gallons for $99 and shipping to us is about $32; so about $33 per gallon or .12 per diluted gallon. I've done the 4 gallon thing (total mix and match) the last 2 times. Mike calls the Lawn product "Bat Juice" and says he had the best lawn in the neighborhood.

I once calculated the cost of Masterblend, etc and it was less; but there are other costs like PH UP (on my 2nd bag $22 per bag), I go through a lot of Epsom Salts too.
It definitely is much more work than TTF.

For comparision - I grew SunGolds and just fed Masterblend formula. My next door neighbor grew SunGold with the fert strip and I gave her all the TTF she needed as well as Calcium Nitrate, she had Epsom Salts. I told her to alternate 1 TBLS of TTF and then 3-4 days later the Calcium Nitrate/Epsom Salts. She had as many if not more SunGold tomatoes as me.

I had her cut back her plants. She really went overboard with the cutting so I added 2 Sungold seedlings to her EB and am having her feed TTF every watering.

---
Are you growing Esterina? My first toms are starting to change color. I have 2 beautiful big plants. The tomatoes are larger than SunGolds. These plants never had anything other than Masterblend.
Old February 23, 2017   #2561
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I have seeds of CT. Started them couple of days ago. I have to look at the bag, but I think they were from you or Barb.
Thank you, ladies. This thread is so interesting. Plus Larry's informative broccoli suggestions. I am sold on trying new veggies.
Winter months are not boring with all your posts and pictures.
Keep them coming.

Old February 23, 2017   #2562
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I bought it this last time by the 4 gallons. So much cheaper that way but the shipping isnt added in. But that should last me a year or more. I think.

Yes I am growing Esterina but I just got it transplanted 2 weeks ago so will be a while.

Ella - I think I sent you Cows Tit. I know you have limited space like me and you grow so many awesome types so not sure if it would be worth it for you or not. But I did make sauce with it and was pleased with how fast it cooked as I'm used to so much juice and long cooking times to reduce.

Ginny

Old February 24, 2017   #2563
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

Ella - I think I sent you Cows Tit. I know you have limited space like me and you grow so many awesome types so not sure if it would be worth it for you or not. But I did make sauce with it and was pleased with how fast it cooked as I'm used to so much juice and long cooking times to reduce.

Ginny

Thank you, Ginny. Have you tried dehydrating them? That is my new hobby, dehydrating tomatoes and more. Marsha is to blame for.

Old February 24, 2017   #2564
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ella... I forgot all about that! Can you share some of your dehydrating tips?

Ginny

Old February 24, 2017   #2565
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Thank you, Ginny. Have you tried dehydrating them? That is my new hobby, dehydrating tomatoes and more. Marsha is to blame for.
It's OK, it's usually my fault. lol.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote