Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 12, 2014   #1
indoor_tomist
Tomatovillian™

Default Could experts evaluate my hydroponic/container-based/indoor plan?

Hi all. As promised, here is a possible plan to grow tomatoes indoors, under lights (partly), hydroponically, in pots. I was not sure which forum to post to, but this looked closest.

Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

---------------------

Repurposed canning shelf, dimensions: 72" tall x 36" wide x 15.25" shelf depth.

Lower level for tomatoes, allowing 35" of height for dwarf tomatoes.

For containers (x2):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d=AUQO2APMRPLL

For tomatoes:

Dwarf Mr. Snow
Yukon Quest
Dwarf Arctic Rose
Rosella Purple

Lighting:

4' 8-tube T5, placed on its narrow end (so it will be 4' high), placed behind the shelf, near wall.

Mylar film on side of shelf away from wall (so that it will be a second reflector from the front.

Shelf will be on a "desk unit" platform that would allow me to roll the whole thing from the wall to the . . . large glass windows. Basic idea would be to use both sun and fluorescent light, the former during the day, the latter in the evening. I'd switch the side facing the light sources mid-week, so that will even out for the week.

If I could have two plants per container, that would be great--but I'm not sure this would be possible (or would so weaken the plants that there would be no point.

Note that the upper shelf would be for peppers and eggplant, I think. While I could provide more vertical space if needed for the tomatoes, I would prefer not to, unless necessary, as the upper level is already only about 2.5 feet tall.
indoor_tomist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #2
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I'm no help, but I'm really interested in seeing how this works. I've been thinking of trying the Power Grower modular system to see if it works better than Earth Boxes.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

A high pressure sodium light would probably be better, but it might not matter if the plants get a lot of sun. I think the sun would be doing a lot more work producing fruit than the light.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2014   #4
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

unless you are just after the plug and play aspect of the growing system you can make your own for thirty bucks each out of five gallon buckets, some net pots, a decent pump, some hydroton, and some bubble stones and tubing/fittings. that estimate isn't exact but for the price of one of those you could easily make two five gallon bubble buckets, or more if your pump can handle multiple buckets. not knocking the product they work just fine but you pay a lot for convenience on most of the RTU hydroponic setups
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2014   #5
Balr14
Tomatovillian™

I have tried the DIY approach to building different containers and feeder systems. Some work as well as my EarthBoxes. But, they only last a few years. Some of my Earthboxes are 5 - 15 years old.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2014   #6
TeamTeke
Tomatovillian™

I am not an expert but this is the system I am using with tremendous success. He has over 200 videos on hydroponics and other gardening.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXy32Dr4Z4A

Be careful not to crowd your plantings. My indeterminate tomatoes grew to over 8' tall.
TeamTeke is offline   Reply With Quote