Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2016   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

If you can't use scissors I'm with Patti, use a skewer or an awl to poke holes. Burning plastic is not nice, very nasty. I do mine while watching tv at night.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Burning plastic is toxic. The original poster cannot even use a pair of scissors without pain because of extreme joint pain from arthritis. It is a very disruptive disease that is very common.

Stop suggesting drill bits without reading the op post and subsequent posts. Might be better to be helpful than jocular. I can also drill into 8 solo cups with a drill no biggie.

The op cannot use a drill or a scissor or a nail and needs suggestions...BTW

I actually thought a scissor snip would be so easy giving a good sharp scissor and no real effort...Just want to help and have no answer at this time.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #18
LDiane

I hold them over a candle, one at a time.
Old April 27, 2016   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

As Elight wrote above, a drill works well - it's what I use.

In the future, if I grow more than I did this year, I might turn the solo cups all on their side a use a few rounds of 20 gauge birdshot.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #20
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

I took a box cutter, half blade open and cut a triangle or square in the bottom, sit the cup on a low table with minimal fine motor work, just press it in one side at a time. Makes about a half inch square in the bottom. A little slow and boring, but workable.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2016   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
imp, you must have a LONG drill bit! lol - I only can stack 5 togethor coz that's the height of my drill bit.

Nope, normal bit bought at Wallyworld, LOL!

It's easier on my hands to stack them like that and press down slightly with my left hand and drill with my right hand holding the drill. I do stackthem on the floor and press down - would that make a difference?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #22
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
i use a wood burning iron pokes nice round holes in the cups. dollar store sells solo cups here in Canada 18 for $1.25
This. Fumes aside, I do it on my back porch or an open garage. Drill works, but rough torn edges are inevitable and getting too excited and moving to quickly it's easy to skew your holes when drilling multiple cups. Which by the way I never got more than 4 or 5 in a stack and had it work effectively. At least with a standard bit. I also like holes on the side/edge of the cup, the wood burning pen is absolutely effortless. In and out.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #23
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doss View Post
how much do Solo cups cost?
They're not cheap, unless you live near a fraternity. I looked at some at my Kroger since I use them for labels, and IIRC they were about $3.50 for a pack of 20.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #24
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
They're not cheap, unless you live near a fraternity. I looked at some at my Kroger since I use them for labels, and IIRC they were about $3.50 for a pack of 20.
$3 and some change at my walmart for the square bottom 18oz in a pack of 60. And that's the Solo brand. Even cheaper for off brands/smaller size. Solo is the only one with sqaure bottom though.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #25
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

dmforcier, I use 16 oz. HEB cups. They're cheap and last a few years. They cost about $4 for a hundred. 12 cups fit well in Dollar Tree baskets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0033.JPG (79.1 KB, 120 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Burning plastic is toxic. The original poster cannot even use a pair of scissors without pain because of extreme joint pain from arthritis. It is a very disruptive disease that is very common.

Stop suggesting drill bits without reading the op post and subsequent posts. Might be better to be helpful than jocular. I can also drill into 8 solo cups with a drill no biggie.

The op cannot use a drill or a scissor or a nail and needs suggestions...BTW

I actually thought a scissor snip would be so easy giving a good sharp scissor and no real effort...Just want to help and have no answer at this time.
I am sorry if something is distressing you, but to jump on everyone like that is not nice, nor were you accurate.

The OP did not say anything about a drill.

Assuming that the suggestions were made without reading the opening post is probably very incorrect. I think everyone WAS trying to be helpful.

Yes, it's toxic to burn plastics, the suggestion was to do so outside I believe.

Making a semi closed fist with pressure might not be a possible for the OP because of the hand problems, but holding a light weight drill may be something they may be able to do.
Old April 28, 2016   #27
imp
Tomatovillian™

I get a 100 pack at WM for just under $6.00.

Yes, the drill can make some chaff and not the smoothest holes, but the holes work and they have good drainage. LOL, I haven't spent much time admiring the look of the drainage holes much, <grin>.
Old April 28, 2016   #28
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Drill, smaller bit and I stack them about 9 deep, set them upside down and drill. I can drill a pack of a 100 in about 3 minutes or less. That is putting 4 to 5 holes in the bottoms.

No problem with them wicking up water or draining that way.

BTW, no one told me, and I ad never used a drill before, but keep the drill running as you poke the holes in and coming back out.

Pretty much the same way I do it, stack 5 at a time, drill center hole then 4 corner holes with 1/8" bit, drill slowly, wipe out inside and bottom of each cup to clean out plastic shavings afterwards, works like a charm, have done 300 that way & goes quick once you're into it.
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #29
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps a Worth doppelganger that cares for you can manufacture a piece of wood (plywood, stick, odds and ends at construction sites) with sharp nails on one side, plus an ergonomic handle on the other that is amenable to your grip strength or designed in such a way that it uses the base of your hand rather than your fingers-grip, and then just push down on the cups.

A "hand sanding pad-block" of sorts with nails.

Last edited by Gerardo; April 28, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2016   #30
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

I pot up in 20oz styrofoam cups. I think I pay around $1.50 for a 14 pack at Wallyworld. I just poke holes in the bottom with a screw driver and it barely takes any force.
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote