Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 25, 2012   #1
Pigzzilla
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I move these potatoes?

Last year we grew 2 4'x16' raised beds with Yukon Gold. Small bag of potatoes from farm supply. Thought we had them all dug up. About a month ago, we ran the mini-tiller over the beds and found a few marble sized taters. I took them out and put them in a bucket in the garage to plant later.

I moved my artichokes into 1 of the beds for a permanent home. Now, it's obvious we missed a lot of potatoes that were deeper. I have lots and lots of potato plants, about 20 or 25 in the 'choke bed and 40 or 50 comming up in the 2nd bed.

I'm wondering if I can transplant any of these potato plants. Or should I just let them grow. Thanks..................pigz
Pigzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can move them but the probelm is those marble sized seed spuds will only grow small tubers,if you only have a small garden it would be wasted of space to keep it going,i think you would be better to plant a decent sized seed potato.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #3
Pigzzilla
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the reply. I think the ones in with the chokes we will just leave and see what we get in the fall. Some are too close to the chokes to mess with, comming up almost in the middle of the choke plant. And I don't want to dig those suckers up again. The roots on the artichokes are huge!

The 2nd bed the potatoes are comming up in, I planned to plant peppers there. So, they will just have to get along. And I'll deal with it all later.....pigz
Pigzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote