Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 13, 2020   #46
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

My wife's maiden name is Santa Maria, and I purchased seeds just for the heck if it a couple of years ago, and never planted them. I looked up Santa Maria on the internet, and found this thread. I also found Heidi in the same search. I plan to plant both this year. The internet is an amazing tool.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020   #47
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
How comes Santa Maria, compared with Heidi?
Vladimír
Santa Maria is a much larger plant with much larger fruits. Both taste very good fresh but I think Santa Maria is juicier and more flavorful. Heidi makes up for size in the amazing number of tomatoes per plant.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #48
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I just wanted to add that now that my seeds are growing, I believe the reason I never planted it was because they are very ugly, droopy, sickly, looking seedlings. I probably didn't realize back then that a lot of paste look that way as seedlings & to ignore it since it has no bearing on the end result.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #49
kath
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll be surprised at how much of a robust plant it becomes- definitely doesn't stay wimpy like some I've grown. It's very full and really fills up an 18" diameter cage and is self-supporting with lots of heavy fruits on it.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #50
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just wanted to add that now that my seeds are growing, I believe the reason I never planted it was because they are very ugly, droopy, sickly, looking seedlings
I have the same issue. The seeds took forever to germinate, and when they did germinate they were really weak looking plants. So weak that I have not tried to plant them. I now have over 50 plants in the ground, and I have a space for a few more plants. The Santa Maria plants are starting to look more like a normal tomato plant, and I believe I will now plant them.
Old March 24, 2020   #51
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Would anyone be willing to send me a few Santa Maria seeds if I sent you a SASE , I’d really like to try them, I’ve always grown tha opalka Thanks so much!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #52
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I have extra seeds....start them early. They take a month to germinate. I started all of my plants at the same time......cherokee purple, heidi, Stump, San Marzano, Kosovo, and Opalaka.......all other seeds germnated in a week......
Old March 24, 2020   #53
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

It could be older seeds that are slower to germinate. Mine took 5 -6 days to germinate, thanks to Gary, Tomato, who generously sent Them to me.
It is obvious to me that my own saved seeds from last year germinated a lot faster than the ones I saved 3 years ago, of same varieties.
Thanks for everyone for sharing information about this variety I would otherwise never have discovered. If successful, I will save lots of seeds to share this year.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020   #54
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Oh you people! Now I had to go looking, and found I have Santa Maria seeds from 2014. I so don't need to add another tomato when I should be paring down my list! But it's time to use those seeds.

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2020   #55
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine germinated quickly and were several years old. I did use a heat may though.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2020   #56
WoodSprite
Tomatovillian™

Santa Maria sounds amazing.

I'm growing San Remo (a.k.a. Pompeii) this year because I loved it when my husband grew it years ago. I was hoping to try Rocky next year because it's supposed to produce very large paste tomatoes but I don't know about the flavor. Now you all have me wanting to try Santa Maria next year because it's large and tasty.
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2020   #57
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornstrider View Post
I have extra seeds....start them early. They take a month to germinate. I started all of my plants at the same time......cherokee purple, heidi, Stump, San Marzano, Kosovo, and Opalaka.......all other seeds germnated in a week......
Hornstrider- could you PM me your address so I can send you a SASE for a few of your seeds. Thanks so much!
Old April 10, 2020   #58
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

In for later
Old April 10, 2020   #59
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Did you get my address,maybe you have already sent the seeds, if so thanks much!
Old April 11, 2020   #60
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It looks like Remy, owner of the Sample Seed Shop and the person who introduced Santa Maria, has them still in stock. I got seeds from her a few years ago and they bumped Romeo out of my garden - http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=4260
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote