Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old May 10, 2021   #1
Jesse103
Tomatovillian™

Default Best fertilizer for sweet potatoes

I am planning on growing some sweet potatoes this year in grow bags. I have used grow bags for tomatoes for a few years now. This is my first try at growing sweet potatoes. I will be using Miracle Grow Potting Mix in the bags. Can anyone share with me the kind of fertilizer they use when growing sweet potatoes in bags? I would appreciate any information.
Jesse103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021   #2
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I've never done sweets in a bag but I'd go with something lower in nitrogen and higher on the phos and potassium. You don't want to really push the vines with nitrogen at the expense of the potatoes sizing up. Just a thought. I use 5-10-15 granular in my row of sweets
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021   #3
Jesse103
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks GoDawgs. I'm in Greenwood about 50 miles from Augusta.
Jesse103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2021   #4
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Last year was my first time growing sweet potatoes.
I planted some in grow bags, some in containers both 15 gallon. Don't put more than 1 slip in each container they need room to grow. The grow bags were harder to get the potatoes out of, the plastic containers you just dump the whole thing out on a trap. I didn't use any kind of fertilizer, just half potting soil and compost.
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote