Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 6, 2020   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Rupp Seeds

I just made an order from Rupp Seeds, a company that has the best supply I have found so far of top quality bell peppers? Due to the near constant problem of Bacterial Leaf Spot here, I have had much better luck with bell peppers that have some or a lot of tolerance and it has become increasingly hard to find those seed at affordable prices and even when I do I usually have to order from several vendors with sometimes costly shipping and handling costs. I was even able to find a couple with tolerance to TSWV which has become much more of a problem the last five years. I'm hoping they will show good resistance. Last year I ended up pulling around a quarter of the bell pepper plants I set out due to TSWV.

I had to order over the phone since they don't have an online ordering site but they have a huge catalogue of all kinds of seeds that can be downloaded. They were very friendly and helpful and seemed very knowledgeable. The seeds were sent very quickly and arrived yesterday and some were promptly started in my greenhouse. I want to trial each variety and see how they stand up and produce so next year I will know which ones to plant more of. I'm just sorry I didn't find out about them back in late December when I start the bulk of my bell pepper seeds. Oh well, I have a nice supply of seeds for the next few years now.

https://www.ruppseeds.com/RPSD/media...g.pdf?ext=.pdf

The smallest amount of pepper seeds that I saw listed was 100 so for us small growers it is quite a few years supply but the cost per seed for those resistant hybrids was reasonable. I also bought some cabbage and broccoli seed and the smallest amount was 1000 seeds. Since the cost wasn't too much more than ordering 50 or 100 from most vendors and they usually keep for at least 3 years it was a good deal for me.

I know Rupp won't be for everyone as their minimum quantities are fairly large for small gardens but for those like me who share seeds with friends or split the cost with other gardeners they have a top notch supply of some hard to find varieties. Anyone who is a market gardener should find them a great supplier. I will still be ordering seed from several othe vendors for things I need in much smaller quantities and seeds that won't keep for a few years.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2020   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I started seeds for a farm market last year ( about 100 flats) and most of the seeds he brought me were from Rupps. they were nice plants and the seeds germinated very well.
Old March 7, 2020   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just planted a selection of the pepper seeds for trial and hope they are going to germinate well. I really want to see if any bell pepper can resist TSWV which has become an increasingly frustrating problem over the last few years. I am also hoping those varieties very high in tolerance for BLS will survive better during those times when it becomes a major problem.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote