Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 3, 2021   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee's Bodacious Hybrid at Menards.

Picked up a packet of Burpee's Bodacious tomato seeds at Menards today. $2.16 for the 24 seeds in the packet. I've wanted to try this one since it was released last year. Supposedly a compact IND plant.

Last edited by Greatgardens; May 4, 2021 at 06:00 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2021   #2
Oliver
Tomatovillian™

Let us know how they turn out. I got a pack of Burpee Best Boy seed, possibly from Menard's, can't really remember. Never tried them before. They are supposed to be determinate and grow in a bush.
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2021   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Will do. 50% germination in 3 days, 75% in 4 days, so the seeds are good. High hopes for this one, (but then that's what I say for every new variety I decide to try)!
Old May 9, 2021   #4
Robert mitchel
Tomatovillian™

Default I've several growing here in Phoenix

I complained to Burpee that my seed packet only had 6 seeds in it and after many weeks they sent me a replacement. Had 100% germination back in November and put plants out Jan 1. They are now producing like crazy and over 5' tall. No fruit splitting yet which is rare growing here in the heat. Great taste and I will be growing these again this fall. We grow all year here but it's tricky.
Robert mitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2021   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

The Bodacious plants are now in my cold frame, growing nicely, nearing the garden-ready stage -- probably a week to 10 days depending on temps and sunshine. These were started in Pro-Mix Organic with added perlite in deep inserts. The jury is still out, but I think that I like the traditional 4 X 8 inserts better, since the bottom of the deep paks stay quite wet under lights. (That's both good and bad, but I think the bad outweighs the good for my use.) They were transplanted once to 3-1/2" square inserts prior going to the cold frame.
Old October 7, 2021   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I probably should cap this one off. Very healthy, long producing plant, but with a couple of downsides (IMO). First, this one does not do well in containers. Gets "wilty" every day, even having plenty of moisture in a 15 gallon grow sack. Second, the tomatoes are really too big. Only now in October are they smaller -- but still mostly 6-10 oz. Little cracking until now that we have lost so much light and have every-other-day rains here in zone 5b. Beautiful bushy, deep green RL foliage. Very healthy plant. Good "red tomato" taste.
Old October 8, 2021   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I probably should cap this one off. Very healthy, long producing plant, but with a couple of downsides (IMO). First, this one does not do well in containers. Gets "wilty" every day, even having plenty of moisture in a 15 gallon grow sack. Second, the tomatoes are really too big. Only now in October are they smaller -- but still mostly 6-10 oz. Little cracking until now that we have lost so much light and have every-other-day rains here in zone 5b. Beautiful bushy, deep green RL foliage. Very healthy plant. Good "red tomato" taste.
Sounds pretty good to me!