Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 1, 2019   #16
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I had each bundle labeled so that when I chose the biggest bulbs to use for planting I knew what they were. And they were marked in the garden post-planting. I just can't remember which one is in the pic because doo doo for brains here forgot to label the photo.

"Order before midnight tonight! Send check or money order to Gonzo Garlic Bag, Box 666, Charlotte, North Carolina."

That phrase used to be on all of those tv ads but I haven't seen it in years since the internet got involved.

And then the mice type that nobody can read at the bottom of the ad will inform you that you will be automatically enrolled in their Gonzo Garlic Bag program, meaning that your garlic bag will be refilled with six equally mediocre bulbs every month and your credit card will be charged only $29.95 per month.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Charlotte, eh. Funny world. A joke, I know, but just funny you picked Charlotte.

I broke scapes off a few days back. I left a few on, though. I never use them for much, and when I offer them to people they generally have never heard of them, so I have stopped trying. Then yesterday I was at the comm garden cutting up an apple tree when a group of people pulled up to look around the garden. Turns out two of them were up visiting from North Carolina, and had visited the garden a few years back. I talked to them for a bit, nice people. They said when they lived on the edge of Charlotte, the deer would destroy their okra in one night.

She looked like she knew her way around the kitchen, so when they were getting ready to leave I asked if they were doing any home cooking while they were up here. I then offered them some scapes. The Southern couple was very appreciative; I don't think their PA relatives had ever heard of garlic scapes, so I guess they are learning now. I just wish I was there to try some too; I didn't think that part through!

"just leave a doggie bag at the garden gate before you head back to NC"
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2019   #18
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Charlotte, eh. Funny world. A joke, I know, but just funny you picked Charlotte...
That IS funny because it really WAS Charlotte named on the ad. This was back before you'd go to an ad's website addy because there weren't any websites yet.

Oh, and the ad always said to "Order now! Offer expires at midnight". They never said *which* midnight because that was on the ad every day.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote