Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2022   #1
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Default Best/sweetest corn to grow?

What’s the best?

Thank you😎
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2022   #2
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Incredible was suggested to me. I have never grown it before but am trying it this season.
Old April 10, 2022   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello from Angel Field

This Native American Corn is so good and purely Historical that it is the only one we carry other than popping corn. Purely Historical and Naturally Sweet.
Farmer, Joyce

https://www.angelfieldfarms.com/stor...ale_Seeds.html
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2022   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Heirloom varieties tend to be low producers. It is fine to grow them, but do so with knowledge they don't tend to produce like hybrids. I highly recommend Silver King because it is readily available and is a superb sweet corn.

su = Merit is a pretty good standard Sugary sweet corn

se - Silver King is a very good Sugar Enhanced variety, and my personal favorite

sh2 - Honey and Pearls has been a very good extra sweet corn, too sweet for my taste

I have not grown Synergistic. Quad sweet, and/or Augmented varieties, but have heard a few of them are excellent. https://www.crookham.com/ has several in this group that are worth a look. Finding seed may be a bit problematic.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2022   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Heirloom varieties tend to be low producers. It is fine to grow them, but do so with knowledge they don't tend to produce like hybrids. I highly recommend Silver King because it is readily available and is a superb sweet corn.

su = Merit is a pretty good standard Sugary sweet corn

se - Silver King is a very good Sugar Enhanced variety, and my personal favorite

sh2 - Honey and Pearls has been a very good extra sweet corn, too sweet for my taste

I have not grown Synergistic. Quad sweet, and/or Augmented varieties, but have heard a few of them are excellent. https://www.crookham.com/ has several in this group that are worth a look. Finding seed may be a bit problematic.
Hello Fusion-Power
You are right, but crop rotation is the key to success with Heirloom Corn and pure sunlight in an Open field or garden.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2022   #6
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Honey Select is very sweet and widely available online.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2022   #7
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I've grown many, many varieties, and I second Honey Select ("Triple Sweet"). Large, refined ears, tender, holds well, and a good grower. If you can find it, give it a try -- I'm sure you will be pleased. The hybrids have come so far since 1933! If interested there is a good but brief write up about the types of sweet corn at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...corn_varieties
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2022   #8
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I have grown corn with moderate success at my community garden, so I am no expert. Hoss Tools, which is also a seed seller, does videos about growing corn. Here is a link to their youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/HossTools/videos , just do a search for corn.

They tend to favor growing hybrid corn for the reasons already noted but recommend that new corn growers grow heirloom varieties (Silver Queen seems to be favored / popular) because, as they present it, successfully growing hybrids can be complex, particularly when it comes to fertilizing with the right fertilizer at the right time.

I would say that if you are an experience grower you may be able to start off growing a hybrid corn but may want to watch a couple of their (or other corn growing) videos to make sure you address those quirks.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2022   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Silver Queen is an su hybrid.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2022   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Silver Queen is still a good variety in 2022. It is sweet and tender, although it gets "chewy" much faster than newer supersweets. If this was 1982, it would be a top choice. SQ was released in 1955. It is a late maturing variety, but when well grown and picked on time, it is still a treat.

Last edited by Greatgardens; April 14, 2022 at 04:47 AM.
Old April 16, 2022   #11
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by materlvr View Post
What’s the best?

Thank you��

I'm going back to my first and favorite corn this year, xtra tender 3473. It a white sh2.

Incredible (an SE) is good and reliable, but not nearly as sweet, plus it is yellow! I mean, who wants yellow sweet corn!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2022   #12
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Several have done nicely for me. Gotta Have It from Gurneys was favorite for a while. Both Incredible and Ambrosia are still on my grow list. But our all time favorite, and what I plant the most of, is Honey Select.
Shawn
Old April 24, 2022   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For OP corn, Buhl and Hawaiian #9 (silver) are my favorites, with no others coming close to those two.

For hybrid corn, there are many, many good ones, Kandy Korn being my favorite.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2022   #14
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

I am definitely a bigger fan of the Triplesweets that have come out the last few years. Primus, Providence, and Serendipity are excellent. The older varieties are good for a home garden. Everyone asks for Silver Queen here at our produce stand, but SQ is not widely grown commercially anymore because it’s prone to disease. At this point it is a stand-in generic name for white corn. I’ve had probably a dozen to 20 varieties of white sweet corn and SQ would not make the top 10, but others swear by it. I think in a blind taste test, a lot of the customers at our stand would not rate SQ near the top, but the variety reminds them of childhood so I understand it. I like a crunchy, very sweet ear of corn. We tried Milky Way last year. Customers loved it, I hated it! Too mushy.
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2022   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac21686 View Post
I am definitely a bigger fan of the Triplesweets that have come out the last few years. Primus, Providence, and Serendipity are excellent. The older varieties are good for a home garden. Everyone asks for Silver Queen here at our produce stand, but SQ is not widely grown commercially anymore because it’s prone to disease. At this point it is a stand-in generic name for white corn. I’ve had probably a dozen to 20 varieties of white sweet corn and SQ would not make the top 10, but others swear by it. I think in a blind taste test, a lot of the customers at our stand would not rate SQ near the top, but the variety reminds them of childhood so I understand it. I like a crunchy, very sweet ear of corn. We tried Milky Way last year. Customers loved it, I hated it! Too mushy.

People asking for SQ reminds me of when I was a kid -- everyone around here wanted Country Gentleman. It was very hard to find even then (1950's). So what is your favorite White variety now? I used to grow "How Sweet it Is" and thought it was very good, but I've given up growing corn to feed to the raccoons!