Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 12, 2010   #31
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to send you some melon seeds.

And, after the Browns game, maybe, just maybe, some sour grapes.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2010   #32
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Melon seeds....if I could only grow them...have tried watermelon, smaller melon types, and nada. The vines of the smaller melons usually die before really getting started, and the watermelon haven't germinated when I've tried direct planting. I'd blame it on location but others grow them fine. I do have some seeds and will give it another shot, the good Lord willing. Have some Charentais. Would love to plant about 20 seeds and be inundated with melons. Have never had one but have read great things about it.

Sour grapes???? We grew quite a few grapes when I was a kid, and I never tasted a sour one...but we did let ALOT of them go to waste. They were good but I guess you can only eat so many of them. Besides the Browns aren't disappointing me this year as I expected a poor season. So there, Gary....

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2010   #33
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Watermelons germinate best in very warm conditions, about 80 degrees. I found this out after trying to start them indoors where it was about
68 degrees.

Covering the soil with clear or black plastic can help. Watermelons and melons both like a light soil with lots of compost.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote