Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 23, 2012   #1
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring Brussels Sprouts?

I don't think as much of them for Spring but my wife is a sprout fiend. Does anyone else here grow a spring crop of sprouts? If so what varieties? I've gotten some Churchill F1 and Hybrid Royal Marvel just starting to germinate...

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Bump....

Anybody?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old February 24, 2012   #3
salix
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if this will be of any help to you RR, as I only have enough of a season for one crop. I am pretty sure though that they taste a lot better after a bit of frost.

Also, the plants take a fairly long time to mature.

Last edited by salix; February 24, 2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: additional thought
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2012   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salix,

I think I must conclude from the lack of other input that there just isn't a good way to get a spring crop. She saw plants at the "garden centers" last year along with the early cabbages...

Ah well... I will try to suffer just a few plants for this spring. Then I'll try to get a real crop to come in for her in the fall.

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old February 26, 2012   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I don't think they will grow fast enough to be able to harvest in the spring (or early summer).

You can, sorta, get spring sprouts if the plants are allowed to winter over. When we lived in Michigan they would get buried in snow and they loved that--I'd go out in January and hack through the snow until I found a plant to harvest.

Here in Missouri, the plants live through the winter, unless we get low single digits temps that kill the plants. This year they came through with flying colors. I harvested a bunch today, as a matter of fact.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2012   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the feedback. I think once she sees a good fall crop she will be content to wait in the future.

I see another Missourian is here too. I have been in Maryland 25 years now but I grew up real near you in Warren County. I still have family there. Just recently I've been reminded how much I miss it. To borrow a phrase...

"You can take the boy out of Missouri but you can't take Missouri out of the boy."

George

Thomas Jefferson, 1787