Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 26, 2010   #31
honeythedog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Seed Suppliers Needed

We need more seed suppliers so that we can offer our customers a wider range of tomato seeds. We are constantly looking for rare and obscure varieties that will introduce and offer UK growers a diverse selection. Please contact us if you are a supplier of seeds and may be able to help with this project.
(From their "down for maintenance" website)
honeythedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #32
mmarston
Tomatovillian™

Default Goldmans Italian American

In 2010 I got seeds for Goldmans Italian American from Terroir Seeds. These tomatos were so good that I got seed from them again this year. The Goldmans are large, ribbed, and pear shaped This new seed produced some other more typical Italian paste tomato. No Goldmans at all. They are sending me new seeds. How about a few bushels of Goldmans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GITA.jpg (26.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2011.jpg (71.8 KB, 42 views)
mmarston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #33
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Wow! What a tomato in that first shot!

I'm learning this happens quite a bit.
When I discover that something I am growing isn't what it is suppose to be, I just hope it is at least a good tomato. Better luck next time!
Old August 25, 2011   #34
mmarston
Tomatovillian™

That Goldman was a little bigger than a softball. I spent some time on the photo as I was posting it to pizzamaking.com. The other photo was just for evidence.
I guess I have to save the seeds next time but I barely have time to keep the garden up.

I highly recommend the Goldman's for sauce and they're quite tasty raw as well.
Old August 26, 2011   #35
SmartAlex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just to set the record straight I have NEVER had the wrong seed sent to me from Tomato Growers Supply.

Good company but I got Pineapples last year that grew some smallish, round red tomatoes. The plant I gave my mother was the real McCoy. I didn't even have a seed in the house that was supposed to do that.
SmartAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2011   #36
mmarston
Tomatovillian™

Most of my unknown paste tomatoes are still green and may not survive Hurricane Irene. I'm well inland but the weather predictions are not good.
Old August 26, 2011   #37
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I ordered this year from Ohio Heirloom Seeds. Great and friendly service. Anyone know them?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2011   #38
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarston View Post
In 2010 I got seeds for Goldmans Italian American from Terroir Seeds. These tomatos were so good that I got seed from them again this year. The Goldmans are large, ribbed, and pear shaped This new seed produced some other more typical Italian paste tomato. No Goldmans at all. They are sending me new seeds. How about a few bushels of Goldmans?
Well, phoo! I wanted to order Goldman's for next year, but now I'm a bit edgy about it. If someone has old seeds that came true, how 'bout you PM me, and see if we can come up with something. Please??
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2011   #39
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

I grew Goldman's Italian American for the first time this year too and I got both styles of tomatoes from the same plant. Mine were from Baker's heirloom seeds. I read that double and single fruits were the norm from ths plant. I had a few doubles that were near 16 oz. and then some singles that were almost 1/2 that. I had two plants and both did the same thing although neither was real prolific. I have saved seed and will happily share if anyone would like to try this particular strain.
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2011   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
Well, phoo! I wanted to order Goldman's for next year, but now I'm a bit edgy about it. If someone has old seeds that came true, how 'bout you PM me, and see if we can come up with something. Please??
I think it would be best if you listed your want in the Wanted subforum of the Seed Exchange where more folks would see it b'c not everyone reads this Forum.

Just a gentle suggestion.

Goldman's Italian American was a selection from a hybrid and while I assumed the selection was genetically stable from what I'm reading that may not be true.
Old September 16, 2011   #41
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I got both single and doubles from GIA this year. My giant one spoiled before I could get seeds collected as it split when I tried to pick it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green Goldman's It Am.jpg (237.4 KB, 54 views)
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2011   #42
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I think it would be best if you listed your want in the Wanted subforum of the Seed Exchange where more folks would see it b'c not everyone reads this Forum.

Just a gentle suggestion.

Goldman's Italian American was a selection from a hybrid and while I assumed the selection was genetically stable from what I'm reading that may not be true.
A gentle suggestion from a gentle woman!
And thank you for the suggestion.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011   #43
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

ScottinAtlanta,

I have ordered from Ohio Heirloom Seeds as well. Never had any trouble with wrong seed, germination has always been great. They give nice generous quantities with reasonable prices too.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #44
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I have also ordered from Ohio Heirloom Seeds, I was very happy with the items I received and the prices. I will be ordering from them again soon.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2011   #45
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have ordered from Ohio Heirloom Seeds as well. Never had any trouble with wrong seed, germination has always been great. They give nice generous quantities with reasonable prices too.
I have also had good experience with Ohio Heirloom Seeds.
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote