Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2007   #1
Thawley
Tomatovillian™

Default Hello & Book Review

I've been a lurker here but thought the book I just read would be of interest to this forum. (This isn't SPAM, I swear. I just wanted to bring something to the party since I'm still a total noobie tomato grower...)

It's a Long Road to a Tomato:
Tales of an Organic Farmer Who Quit the Big City for the (Not So) Simple Life
By Keith Stewart

I'll skip all the details that will no doubt be listed by the publisher on Amazon and just say I LOVED this book. It's a collection of essays about the writer's thoughts, experiences and observations as a small-spread, organic farmer in up-state NY. My recent obsession with tomatoes, led to grabbing half a dozen books from the local library with the word tomato in the title. This was the standout. Though only one of of the essays is specific to growing tomatoes, most are relevant. The writer's bio is vague about his prior professional life in downtown Manhattan. But it had to have been something to do with journalism or other wordsmith trade. The writing is outstanding.

Go to your favorite online book seller. Read more about it. Add it to your gift list.

Glad I found this web site... I'm really becoming a Garden Geek (Tomato Twit... Dirt Dork... Soil Snob?) and there's some great, real-world info here.

Thanks.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007   #2
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a good reading book.

Check out Blithe Tomato "An insider's wry look at farmers' market society, by Mike Madison.

I found it to be a very funny and entertaining book.

Brad.........
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote