Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 25, 2016   #16
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Glad to be of any help.Rye has a great root system.Many farmers here grow it in the winter.That's how I found out about it over 10 years ago.We have a very big corn grower near by who plants all their fields with rye in the fall.
Good luck with your cover crop!
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2016   #17
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Rye is coming along fine.Vetch is just starting to show.Should get a half inch of rain today I think that will help the growth as temps are in the 60's.
Old October 5, 2016   #18
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
....So I turned it over with my garden fork....
Is that the S&J fork? How is it holding up? I just pretzeled a new Craftsman, and am looking for an upgrade
Old October 5, 2016   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Is that the S&J fork? How is it holding up? I just pretzeled a new Craftsman, and am looking for an upgrade
Probably said made in China on it too.
I would take the thing back and complain maybe they well take the hint or go broke.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2016   #20
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Yes it is.I really like it,very strong.I keep it clean and rub it down with WD40 when I'm finished.I keep it in my basement.I bought it from Park Seeds.I had good service from that purchase.I know some others were not as happy with them.
Old October 5, 2016   #21
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I will not buy anything more from Sears,very poor service.I wanted to buy a jigsaw from them.I looked on their website and saw the one I wanted was on sale.I went to my local Sears and asked for that model.They would not sell it for the sale price.I was told to go home and order it.I told them I was going to Lowes and they just lost a sale.Guy was an A Hole.Have not been back since that happened a few years ago.
Old October 19, 2016   #22
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I had my surgery put off until Nov.18th due to a cap problem that had a cavity under it.Turned out another filling had a cavity.Short story,had it pulled and a bridge put in.Plus side was a bad infection could have set in on both knees so I was lucky to find this out now.Looking at my covercrop this morning and the rye is already 6 to 8 inches high.We have had warmer than normal temps and enough rain that it has grown very well.Even the vetch is coming along fine.If the spring is like most years I could have the rye over 1 to 2 feet high come mid april when I will mow it down.I think I'll plant the vetch 2 weeks before the rye next year as it grows more slowly and will vine up on the rye.This is a great combination for me.
Old October 19, 2016   #23
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update CJP. 2 years out from my hip replacement and I still have to take an antibiotic before a dental cleaning. I'll be pulling for your successful recovery in Nov.

Still need to get some rye. I stopped by one Southern States but they were out of the smaller bags. I have until late October so should be plenty of time.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2016   #24
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I get vetch growing in spots where I get just a little bit careless with the seeds, Not so much the rye, I have to lay it on a bit thick, sow and rake, then sow and rake a second time to get good coverage. Just finished our two main sections, and waiting on our chile pepper row to play out to finish up.
Old October 20, 2016   #25
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Thanks for the update CJP. 2 years out from my hip replacement and I still have to take an antibiotic before a dental cleaning. I'll be pulling for your successful recovery in Nov.

Still need to get some rye. I stopped by one Southern States but they were out of the smaller bags. I have until late October so should be plenty of time.
Had hip replacement in 2012.Will have to take antibiotics every time before any dental visits but they don't bother me.Thanks for the kind words,cant wait to get this behind me and rehab.Knee much harder to rehab than my hip.Thanks again!
Old October 20, 2016   #26
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
I get vetch growing in spots where I get just a little bit careless with the seeds, Not so much the rye, I have to lay it on a bit thick, sow and rake, then sow and rake a second time to get good coverage. Just finished our two main sections, and waiting on our chile pepper row to play out to finish up.
Vetch grows slow compared to rye in my garden and I had the vetch inoculated.I was told if you grow vetch in the same spot the next year it's not needed.I have the rye up in 48 hours.I just rake it in.This crop came up very fast as we had rain 3 days the first week planted.We're supposed to get over an inch of rain starting tonight and into tomorrow.Warm weather in the 70's this week has helped growth.It's 20 degrees warmer than normal.I'll take that any time in Oct.
Old October 23, 2016   #27
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

OK. The winter rye is in and watered - very happy to add a new tool to my "tomato bag!"
Old October 23, 2016   #28
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I think you'll be happy with the results.You should see the rye come up in 48 to 72 hours.I just raked mine in.Good luck with your cover crop.
Old October 24, 2016   #29
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Saw an add on Burpee's Winter rye 1/4 pound for $4.99,covers 100 to 200 sq.ft.I buy mine at our local Hardware store for .79ct a pound.Wow and then you have s&h.Just thought I'd put that out for anyone who never planted a fall cover crop.
Old October 24, 2016   #30
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Wow! $20/lb plus shipping. Southern States was 99 cents a pound here.