Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 27, 2016   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default Does Texas Tomato Food Fertilizer Food Smell?

Is it strong, medium or mild and most important, does it attract dogs and animals like most organic fertilizers?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2016   #2
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

I've used it for the past two summers and never noticed any unpleasant smell.
It's not fishy like Neptune's Harvest.
I've even used it on occasion (diluted) in the house and never noticed anything.
For me it is as neutral as Miracle Gro smells (which it doesn't).
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2016   #3
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
I've used it for the past two summers and never noticed any unpleasant smell.
It's not fishy like Neptune's Harvest.
I've even used it on occasion (diluted) in the house and never noticed anything.
For me it is as neutral as Miracle Gro smells (which it doesn't).
Good to know. Thank you. By the way. Do you like it? Have you used other fertilizers to compare it to?
Old October 28, 2016   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
Good to know. Thank you. By the way. Do you like it? Have you used other fertilizers to compare it to?
Now that the subject is up :
IS IT ORGANIC ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

No noticeable scent. In fact, when i first opened the container, if i had not removed the seal myself, i would have been suspect that it had not been a returned bottle tampered with. (diluted), Like a teen boozing dad's vodka, adding water.

Their BioActive dry mix, an all purpose, is most like other dry ferts, meaning similar to veg/tomatoTone. Similar ingredient list and a random organic one i picked up at Costco last Spring.

Ingredients: bat guanos, worm casts, crab shell, kelp, mycorrhizae, humic and fulvic acids, soy meal, cottonseed meal, poultry litter, palm ash.

Anything similar to above, in my experience, is high value dog treats...right up there with raw steak.
Keep away from pets. Toxic to them. Even the Organic.

TexasTomatoFood, the liquid, seems to be a 'tea' from a similar combination of ingredients as their dry. (similar) Very concentrated. I'm having no issues with my pups wanting to tear apart any pots or plants using it.
I've not used it in the garden but use it in potting up seedlings, patio plants, stress times like moving plants inside for the winter etc.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
IS IT ORGANIC ?
I cant remember if it has the seal or not but it is organic.
Now I have a question if you use non certified organic fertilizer that is organic can you sell your produce as certified organic.?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2016   #7
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
IS IT ORGANIC ?
Here's a reply that was posted on another thread here that addresses your inquiry:

"Hi there......I don't see why not, since there will be no interaction. The only reason we can't call our ferts organic is because the certifying agencies simply don't know how to classify hydroponic-grade components. We are left in a "grey area".

If you talk to them, they love hydroponics, and they know hydroponic vegetable production worldwide is entirely dependent on mineral concentrates. They're ok with that. But they can't get themselves to allow refined minerals to be called organic, which is a head-scratcher.

We really confuse the issue by combining minerals with our proprietary distilled organics. Maybe some day we'll come to a compromise."

The link to the thread is here:http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...476#post388476

Read post #185.

Hope this helps, OR you can call them and ask.
Old October 28, 2016   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by schill93 View Post
I can't offer you a direct, clinical comparison, only my anecdotal impression..
and that is the stuff works great for me.

I plant out my seedlings with 3 cups Plant-Tone and 1/3 bag composted manure (Garden Magic) dug into each spot beforehand. I also add 1/2 to 1 cup Bio-tone lightly mixed directly into the planting hole/trench. This is at plant-out.

Afterwards, I switch to using liquid feed to avoid bothering with pulling back mulch and having to dig it in. Have tried MG Tomato food in the past, but it's all chemical and supposedly not the best for keeping all the mycos fed, so I switched to TTF. Lotsa tomatoes.

My banana plant swears by TTF though. In 2015, I planted out the banana at 12" and fed with MG and by summer's end it had topped out at 18" and 5 leaves.

This past season (2016) I fed it religiously with TTF every 2 weeks or so and the darn banana plant grew to 4 ft.+, had 12 leaves AND "gave birth" to 3 pups (off-shoots).
So I'm happy that it's happy.

Gee, maybe my banana plant thinks it's a tomato!
Old October 28, 2016   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I cant remember if it has the seal or not but it is organic.
Now I have a question if you use non certified organic fertilizer that is organic can you sell your produce as certified organic.?
Worth
Thanks Worth
I don't care about seal and certification. There are organization that get money to certify it and the consumers pay extra for that.
Next season I will try TTF.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #10
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone compared results between TTF and Tomato Tone?

How often do you use it, and it what formulation?

Thanks.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2016   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Just addressing the pups and concerns about critters as well...

I had a few early tomato plants dug up by maybe chipmunks we think...tomato tone and another dry mix i later put in planting holes for other tomato beds...later plantings we used a slow release fert like osmocote. Then a bit of fish/seaweed that drives the pups nuts but the tomato beds are protected from the pups...

TexasTomato is somewhat clear/yellow and i just rolled it a bit and took the cap and offered it to my older pup and it was not an interest at all. Then the younger pup also had no interest. Even in its concentrated form. Seems safe for pets.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2016   #12
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Good to know Oakley. I wanted to try it, but with my dog going crazy for the Tomato Magic I had tried, I was thinking twice about it. Especially considering the cost which is not easy to swallow (with shipping).