Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old December 5, 2015   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Have you tried the alternate BHN-876? Or Chef's Choice?

"Superlative" for Marbonne. It sure is a looker.

Another one of Randy Gardner's creations, Mountain Fresh, is calling to me.
This is Dr. Gardners secretary responding to your call who has not personally grown any of his Mountain series ones, but has seen all of them growing in the fields and has tasted all of them at the farm of a commercial grower friend and thinks they are great.

She also agrees that Orange Minsk is a terrific tasting variety and just for kicks she thinks you should try the heart version as well.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk_Heart

The original Orange Minsk being

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk

Cordially yours,

The Secretary
Old December 6, 2015   #47
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
This is Dr. Gardners secretary responding to your call who has not personally grown any of his Mountain series ones, but has seen all of them growing in the fields and has tasted all of them at the farm of a commercial grower friend and thinks they are great.
She also agrees that Orange Minsk is a terrific tasting variety and just for kicks she thinks you should try the heart version as well.
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk_Heart
The original Orange Minsk being
http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Minsk
Cordially yours,
The Secretary
Hard to find a better amanuensis.

And yes indeed, I started with the Heart variety first, which to my taste buds has tropical and deep, long lasting tomato flavor.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2015   #48
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

If you want to drop a dollar or two on some expensive seed like I did, buy some of Fabric Boudyo's Big Zac seed. 120.85 for 9 seeds.

Ouch!
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #49
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

AKmark, - that better be one tasty tomato variety!!
Even if it was... no thanks.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #50
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Normally I would agree, but I actually think I am going too do something interesting with them, so it could be an investment of sorts.
I am on a mission, I am focused, and will give 150 percent to try and grow one heck of a huge tomato.
Muhammad Ali once said " it aint braggin if you can back it up."
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016   #51
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I've given up growing Defiant. It is too expensive. As far as orange hybrids, Burpee's Sweet Tangerine is a good one
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #52
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Head to head,
Rebelski vs Marbonne

Productivity, Rebelski by a nose
Disease Resistance, Rebelski by two lengths
Metabolic peculiarities, as in tantrums over pH range and nutrient profiles, Marbonne is heartier, Rebelski gets temperamental and likes a consistent diet of Ensure. Marbonne is more forgiving.
Fruit beauty, Marbonne by a nose
Fruit taste, Rebelski by a nose
Storage-counter life: both are strong in this category

So in short, very similar profile, main distinction is Marbonne showed marked susceptibility to fungal attack while Rebelski said thank you sir can I have another. With a little hand holding they powered through it and are still going strong. Marbonne is more forgiving to fluctuations in nutrients.

Rebelski cuttings producing well.

I would buy Rebelski again, yes indeed.
Old June 24, 2016   #53
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I like your side by side comparision Gerardo. I need to start Rebelski for a fall crop as well as many others.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #54
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I tried Johnny's Tiren f1 this year. I had BER on every single tomato and it seemed to be related to temperature fluctuations. It wants to live in a temperature controlled environment.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #55
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Tiren was a bust for us too. However Granadero, which is similar, was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneW View Post
I tried Johnny's Tiren f1 this year. I had BER on every single tomato and it seemed to be related to temperature fluctuations. It wants to live in a temperature controlled environment.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #56
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Rebelski is growing great for us too.

I am a bit surprised that you have found it better tasting than Marbonne. Then again, we did not find Marbonne to be a real alternative to similar heirlooms, because it didn't have as good flavor, and it wasn't particularly more productive either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Head to head,
Rebelski vs Marbonne

Productivity, Rebelski by a nose
Disease Resistance, Rebelski by two lengths
Metabolic peculiarities, as in tantrums over pH range and nutrient profiles, Marbonne is heartier, Rebelski gets temperamental and likes a consistent diet of Ensure. Marbonne is more forgiving.
Fruit beauty, Marbonne by a nose
Fruit taste, Rebelski by a nose
Storage-counter life: both are strong in this category

So in short, very similar profile, main distinction is Marbonne showed marked susceptibility to fungal attack while Rebelski said thank you sir can I have another. With a little hand holding they powered through it and are still going strong. Marbonne is more forgiving to fluctuations in nutrients.

Rebelski cuttings producing well.

I would buy Rebelski again, yes indeed.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #57
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Rebelski vs Marbonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Rebelski is growing great for us too.

I am a bit surprised that you have found it better tasting than Marbonne. Then again, we did not find Marbonne to be a real alternative to similar heirlooms, because it didn't have as good flavor, and it wasn't particularly more productive either.
Apologies for the late response. The initial Marbonne tomatoes weren't as tasty (which is when I wrote that comparison post) as the season progressed, the flavor improved and they were pretty good. Big tomatoes.

Rebelski seemed to like being pampered, Marbonne was a bit heartier (except for a fungal attack early, which was more or less weather induced). Rebelski had a tough time with our late summer-fall heat.

Upon further review and tasting, I think they are more or less equivalent on the flavor front. I'd grow both of them again, as their productivity is strong.

I'll continue to grow "expensive" hybrid seed.

So pretty please Fred, make those hybrids you've got up your sleeve available and most of us will scoop them up.
Old November 29, 2016   #58
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here's a new one from Johnny's that looks good. It's not absurdly expensive, either. $5.35 a pack, on back order til January.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/new-for-2...eed-3774G.html

New! Late blight resistance and excellent flavor.
Damsel produces avg. 10-12 oz., globe-shaped fruits with beautiful, pink skin. Shares flavor qualities (sweet, rich, and tangy) with traditional pink heirlooms, such as Brandywine and Pruden's Purple, but is more resistant to disease. Compact indeterminate plants require minimal pruning. While bred specifically for organic field conditions, it also performs well in the hoophouse. Damsel is the first commercial variety available from independent breeder EarthWork Seeds, who produced the seed in California. High resistance to late blight, nematodes, and verticillium wilt. Indeterminate.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2016   #59
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Love hearing these reviews fellas. I often argue in my head back and forth on weather to buy those expensive seeds. When I do, they usually impresses me. I already had Rebelski and Granadero in my cart and Pozzano http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...-3087G.11.html so I'm stoked that those did well for you guys. Any one grown Pozzano? I need bullet-proof paste tomatoes that dont get BER and have high production. And Gerardo which cuke did you tell me was maybe better than Sweet Success?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote