Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 23, 2017   #181
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking of taking the strongest raspberry cuttings that root and bumping them into 5 gallon bags so I can move them into the garden next Spring without them taking over the garden.

I'll have to bone up on raspberries in containers.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017   #182
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I once grew some in two gallon pots. They needed lots of watering, produced well and multiplied rapidly. Here, they like being pot grown or in a raised bed that keeps their roots from sitting in the wet in our soggy winters.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017   #183
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

About the time I think it is cool enough for peas it heats back up again.
One more month.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #184
Randall
Tomatovillian™

That's how it is for me and garlic here, Worth.

A few more from this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (Medium).jpg (79.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 6 (Medium).jpg (96.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 4 (Medium).jpg (117.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (Medium).jpg (114.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (Medium).jpg (107.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 7 (Medium).jpg (162.5 KB, 70 views)
Old September 25, 2017   #185
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

What kind of broccoli is that? Looks great.
Old September 25, 2017   #186
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You must have a perfect climate for fall growing. Your garden is beautiful. Have you had a lot of rain? I am always envious of those neat straw beds that people with large gardens post. A bale is $10 at a grass supply or feed store here.

The hot weather is running havoc here as well. I didn't attempt peas this year. My lettuce is the size of my pinky fingernail (planted 6 weeks ago). I bought transplants last week at the only nursery in town that still has any, kept them in shade or indoors till the heat broke (yesterday) and today a big seed stalk is growing out of the romaines.

This thread will be my inspiration for next year.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #187
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I feel a little silly asking this question because my memory is foggy. How many pounds of garlic are in each bundle in post 175 ? They are so nice and healthy and big. It's been several years since I ordered garlic, and I can't remember where I bought it from or how much I ordered back then. Those bags are much larger than what I had bought.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #188
Randall
Tomatovillian™

@clkeiper, that's Burpee's Bonanza. It makes some really nice sized heads where I garden. I like Sun King for Spring and Bonanza for Fall.

Thanks, greenthumbomaha. Sometimes the weather cooperates around here. We had an exceptionally rainy Summer and it really made watering a breeze.

My broccoli struggled a bit right after transplant but then it finally cooled down a bit and it was happy with it.

Those garlic bags are each 2 pounds. I'm sure they'll weigh a tad bit lighter by the time I plant it out in November, though.
Old September 29, 2017   #189
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking produce. really nice.

Worth.. get them in. it will cool down eventually. I am shocked I actually do have a fall crop of snow peas. we picked again for the second time tonight. it was a bit cooler at the beginning of August and then it went to blazing hot for a long time and no rain to speak of. it was in the 80- 90's for the past several weeks... they are self seeding from the Spring crop that got too hot and they went nasty over a period of about 2 days and we quit picking them. they matured dropped their seeds and I tilled it all up and planted those {nasty} 1/2 runner beans that everyone asks for up here. I have 1/2 runners and snow peas on the same fence.but if I can sell them I will grow them. the beans go for 50.00 a bushel.

Last edited by clkeiper; September 29, 2017 at 09:24 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote