Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9451
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

That looks awesome, Worth! I'm sure some ppl you share with are going to be very happy!

Rajun, yours looked awesome, too! When we have family dinners if I said I wasn't going to make broccoli casserole I think I would get the same kind of look as ppl who say to a man around here they don't like muscle cars! lol....I wouldn't do that. Cooking for others is one I show ppl I care.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9452
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I know what you mean, I used to have cook outs every weekend and everybody wanted broccoli casserole and London Broil. I would use Cheese-Wiz, tons of mayo and 2 lemons juiced with cups of shredded cheese. I even cooked it in the microwave and it came out great. I'm trying to eat a little healthier now so I don't make it much.

Also, back about 10 years ago you could get a good London Broil. Now they don't even look the same. I would marinate them a few hours in Dale's Sauce, Cajun seasoning and minced garlic then sear them till almost medium rare. Let rest for 10 minutes and slice as thin as possible.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9453
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

London broil brings back memories of a good friend of mine that was the chef where I worked.
He started cooking as a young man when the Alaska pipe line was being built.
Made the best London broil ever.
Marinated in red wine black pepper garlic and so on.
It was made traditionally out of flank steak.
It was made every Saturday they had the Cajun night theme.
There was nothing in that kitchen or pantry I didn't have access to from the cooks and chefs there.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9454
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of Cheap Eatin: a new store opened up and I stopped by today to see what they had. It's a small store but has some amazing products and they serve plate lunches all week with BBQ on Sundays. They had duck tasso, rabbit, ribeye sausage, chicken sausage, stuffed products, boudin, kracklin, crawfish pigskins and just about every thing you can want. The prices were good too. I picked up a few things to try but judging from the pepperjack boudin balls($1each) and the boudin plus customers saying=you have to try.......

Where else can you find a marinated chicken stuffed with onions and bell peppers for this price ready to throw in the oven?

http://southendcountrymart.com/

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:39 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9455
imp
Tomatovillian™

Wow, you are getting some really good prices there, I am jealous!!

London Broil used to be a cheaper cut, but anymore....
Used to broil it rare after a nice marinade and then coated in cracked black pepper. So good, Rob loved it that way with baked potato.

Tonight, it was an "everything" bagel, toasted and buttered, then a thinnish smear of cream cheese and a small avocado mashed a bit on top.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9456
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy has a big bag of fried chicken.
He loves it.

Worth
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9457
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Jimmy has a big bag of fried chicken.
He loves it.
And you just made his day! Feels good all around.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9458
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Default Beef

Probably not fully qualified for cheap eats, but relatively cheap if you like beef.

Get a thick sirloin, 1-1.25" thick. Sirloin is $5-6/lb here.
Smother both sides in kosher salt.
Leave it alone at room temp for 45 minutes +-.
Thoroughly rinse the salt off and grill it.
Don't forget to slice it thin across the grain.

The salt perfectly seasons the meat, and changes it. Seems more tender, flavorful, and browns better. Makes a perfect steak.
I now prefer this to more expensive cuts
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9459
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Jimmy said it was better than anything he had eaten.
Must have given him 7 or eight pieces.
The secret ingredient was the powder spice I put on the chicken right out of the fryer.
It was about............
1/2 teaspoon oregano ground up in my mortar and pestle.
1 teaspoon salt ground up the same way.
1 tablespoon ground hot red pepper.
1 tablespoon garlic powder.
More or less.
On a side note, I didn't hear him yell at anyone all day.

Worth
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9460
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Then you've done the whole place a service.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9461
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Maybe next time just bring him one or two pieces a day and give them a whole week of not being yelled at, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9462
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I love fried chicken. I don't eat it, but I do love it. Worth's pictures of crispy, crunchy looking fried chicken made me hungry for fried chicken. When I was fresh out of high school, I had a girlfriend from California who cooked what she called Italian fried chicken. I sometimes wish I had married her. I sure miss her chicken.

All the talk of steaks and chefs made me think of the best foods like broccoli casserole and other stuff, Ive eaten. It was probably on offshore production platforms in the Gulf Of Mexico. They usually had two chef's on the platforms. One worked the day shift and one worked the night shift. You could order great steaks or fried chicken or just about anything you wanted any time of the day or night and the company who owned the platform paid for it. I often thought of asking the helicopter pilot to speed it up a little cause I'm hungry. I didn't ask because he knew how to fly the helicopter and I didn't.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9463
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I love fried chicken. I don't eat it, but I do love it. Worth's pictures of crispy, crunchy looking fried chicken made me hungry for fried chicken. When I was fresh out of high school, I had a girlfriend from California who cooked what she called Italian fried chicken. I sometimes wish I had married her. I sure miss her chicken.
I have to be very careful with my diet. I also do love fried chicken but have not been able to partake in eating it for awhile, UNTIL I bought a very cheap air fryer on Amazon. The chicken was fabulous. It had very very crispy skin, was moist and had great flavor. Nobody would know that it had not been cooked in the deep fryer if they were blind folded. The only difference was that it had no grease. Healthy, crisp and delicious. I love the air fryer. It has made a big difference in my cooking.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9464
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Just a little point, if you are eating chicken with skin on and breaded it is not healthy, and even air frier's use some oil from what I understand. It might be less then deep frying, but it might not. I saw a test some place where they deep fried at correct temperature and measured the oil before and after, and the chicken only absorbed 2 tablespoons of the oil per batch. Cooking at lower temps allows the chicken to absorb more. My point is, enjoy it as an occasional treat, but if you need to follow a low fat diet for health reasons, don't be fooled into thinking crispy breaded chicken skin fried with only a couple tablespoons of oil is healthy. It may or may not be quite as bad, but not healthy. That said, who doesn't love fried chicken, lol?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9465
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Never could understand the whole fried food thing I hear from some but not all people.
Not saying anyone here but some folks elsewhere have said they cant eat fried food but eat food swimming in salad dressing or swimming in grease.
They dont understand and or are cherry picking what ever was told to them by their health provider.
Others fried food causes heart burn big time.
My chicken wasn't breaded per say just flipped in flour not a breading batter.

Worth