Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old July 5, 2015   #31
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I tried 'Stick Up' peas this weekend and they are delicious! My favorite cowpea so far. It is a type of Crowder Pea. Has anyone else tried this one before?
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #32
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Two varieties Zeedman sent (Minnesota 13 and Minnesota 157) are vying with Fast Lady Northern Southern Pea to be the first to mature pods. I thought the two MN varieties were going to win, but FLNSP has been catching up fast, maybe because it's more bushy and meanwhile the MN varieties are putting some energy into runners... it'll be close, but I'm headed out tomorrow on a road trip, so won't get to see who wins. If the folks watching the trials while I'm gone take good notes, there might be a clear winner, but it's gonna be pretty close, could be just a matter of a day or less separating them...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #33
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Our neighbor Barbara stopped by a few days ago and we went out and taste-tested our way through the 20 or so varieties that're already ripe. Chomping on raw seeds of 20 different southern peas is work!!! We ate both the shelly peas and the dried-down peas. One of our faves was the Green Dixie that Zeedman shared -- sweet and flavorful, and the green color of the seeds was also interesting.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2015   #34
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ken, glad to hear the cowpeas I sent are doing well. I was surprised, though, to read your comments regarding the Minnesota cultivars. Runners??? I am growing MN 13 again this year, and the plants only put out one short runner, about 2' long... similar to the short runner put out by some bush beans. The two rows are only 3' apart, and I can walk between them... I'll try to post a photo. Perhaps they perform differently in warmer climates than they do here. Your taste test sounds interesting, I never thought to try them raw... probably because so many raw legume seeds are toxic to some degree. Green Dixie even looks somewhat like edamame, and even looks like a soybean when dry. A 20-variety trial must really be fun. But did you really mean to say that you ate the dried-down peas raw???
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #35
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

This summer I grew Pinkeye Purple Hull and was quite happy with it. I would like to find seeds for a variety called Tender Cream. Has anyone ever heard of it and if so do you have any idea where to obtain seeds?
Thanks
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote