Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 4, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Some info about Cubanello peppers

I built a grow light box and planted the shis-ito pepper seeds I won along with Black Sea Man tomao seeds, they been in the box just a few days so the tomatoes have started to emerge but the peppers... No sprouting yet, but I was told peppers take a bit longer. Today at Walmart I bought a pack Cubanelle pepper seeds, all I know about em is there a sweet pepper anyone here grow them before? I grow all my plants in 7gall. grow bags will this variety do ok in a grow bag and what kind of production will they have and about how large do the fruits get?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #2
Nattybo!
Tomatovillian™

What? Your Walmart had Cubanelles? I am totally jealous. I have to mail order those from Fedco seeds.

Cubanelle is one of the most productive peppers in my garden. About 4 to 6 inches long about 3 inches across the top. When I first grew them I kept waiting for them to turn orange/red. After waiting what I recall felt like weeks, I picked a few (still very much green), fried them up and they were so good. I was upset for waiting so long. So don't wait for a color change, when they look good, pick them.

Does your grow light box have bottom heat? For peppers, heat is more important than light to start them. Once they sprout get them to light.

If memory serves me right, peppers take about 5 to 7 days longer to sprout than tomatoes.
Nattybo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Nattybo! yes Walmart the seed co. Ferry-Morse, as far as heat mat my grow box is in my spare room and the box is right by the heater that along with the CFL grow light should supply enough heat for the soil. Glad to hear their prolific!!
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I grow them and have seeds started on the 25th of Feb. that have not yet popped through.I roast them with olive oil and granulated garlic.Makes great sandwiches!My mom was born and raised in Italy and she always made them that way when I was growing up.Fresh Italian bread and those peppers made a great lunch!I have passed that along to my daughters and now they make them for our grandchildren.My Hot Cayenne and Jalapeno have come up in 7 days but still waiting for my Cubanello and Nardello to pop up.All started on the same day.I have them on a heat mat I bought this year.Temp is 80 to 85.They are under my shop lights now with 16 hours of light a day.When the lights are on it's 85 and when off it's around 80.Lights are a few inches above the seedlings.You are going to love those peppers!
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I like Cubanelle. To me it is tastier than bell and easy to grow. You can harvest them green or wait untill it turns nice red.
My other favorite mild pepper is Poblano. It has got a bit of jeat. Good for grilling and stuffing. Like Cubanelle you can let Poblano turn red for added flavor.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote