Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2016   #2356
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Oh yeah good idea.

Larry I think you asked about topping the plants. Here are some photos of the suckers growing after I topped a couple of my plants a week or so ago. They are putting out new sucker growth everywhere (both are indeterminate plants).
The old stalks were not setting flowers much. Hoping that getting rid of all the dead blossoms plus the new growth will kick start the plant into setting again.
Ginny
Ginny,
Thanks That is truly amazing. With a mild January you could be looking at new tomatoes in February, when most plants are just being transplanted.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2357
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

My fall plants usually burn out by December so if this brings another round of tomatoes in January that will be great. If not it was worth a try.

I'm also planting some cuttings this week since there isn't any disease on the leaves. Plus starting the spring seedlings soon.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2358
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally - First brocolli head

First pic is the broccoli planted first in the raised bed (8x4)
2nd pic is the broccoli in the EB (this is the one that has a head the size of a quarter)
3rd pic is the broccoli planted later in the RB (4X4)
4th pic is the new starts of broccoli - all have been separated into their own cell or pot.

I have a horseshoe of raised beds and only used 3 so far; 8 total so room is not a problem. I'm using permeable weed cover this season so water usage is much reduced. I was waiting on a 4' wide material before planting the 2nd set; look how much slower the growth is (pic #3) vs (pic #1)

I also have another EB with broccoli including the summer broccoli that doesn't need cold weather to make shoots; what a waste....seeds were expensive too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brocolli in RB.jpg (404.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Brocolli in EB one with head (1024x768).jpg (210.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg brocolli 2nd group (768x1024).jpg (307.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Brocolli - batch 3.jpg (313.4 KB, 79 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2359
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Cutting

Here is a pic of a tomato cutting; it has a bunch of tomatoes. It is an Aussie.

I have others; problem now is finding good areas to put them and cages. I tossed a bunch of cutting b/c I had no cages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aussie Cutting.jpg (435.7 KB, 80 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2360
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
First pic is the broccoli planted first in the raised bed (8x4)
2nd pic is the broccoli in the EB (this is the one that has a head the size of a quarter)
3rd pic is the broccoli planted later in the RB (4X4)
4th pic is the new starts of broccoli - all have been separated into their own cell or pot.

I have a horseshoe of raised beds and only used 3 so far; 8 total so room is not a problem. I'm using permeable weed cover this season so water usage is much reduced. I was waiting on a 4' wide material before planting the 2nd set; look how much slower the growth is (pic #3) vs (pic #1)

I also have another EB with broccoli including the summer broccoli that doesn't need cold weather to make shoots; what a waste....seeds were expensive too.
I'll be interested in knowing how your varieties are working for you, e.g. how big, how fast, how tasty, color, shape, texture? Not asking too much am I?

I'm harvesting my 2nd crop from the same RB at this time. First head of Castle Dome cut at 42 days from transplant on 12/09/16. Hope to have them all harvested by 12/24/16 so I can get the 3rd crop of broccoli into the same bed on the following day. At this time it looks like the most crops I can get through a single bed will be 5. The weather will determine a lot. If the spring is on the hot side a 5th crop may not do particularly well. We'll See.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2361
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I have what I believe to be broad mites affecting some of my pepper plants. See the damage to the plant on the left.

I chopped off the damaged leaves and bagged them and took them out to the dumpster. Releasing predatory mites this evening. Will let you all know if it works .

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; December 13, 2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old December 13, 2016   #2362
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Despite some minuses, you all are in plusses, in my book.
Excellent job!

Thanks for great pictures and detailed info. Post more maters (sliced if possible), please. mmm...

We are expecting 16 Thursday night, so I am living vicariously...for now.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2363
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I have what I believe to be broad mites affecting some of my pepper plants. See the damage to the plant on the left.

I chopped off the damaged leaves and bagged them and took them out to the dumpster. Releasing predatory mites this evening. Will let you all know if it works .

Ginny
Some of my peppers look just like that. I thought it was TYLCV from whiteflies. They were there early on when it was hotter. Now I must put a leaf under the microscope.

I stink at growing peppers. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2016   #2364
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Despite some minuses, you all are in plusses, in my book.
Excellent job!

Thanks for great pictures and detailed info. Post more maters (sliced if possible), please. mmm...

We are expecting 16 Thursday night, so I am living vicariously...for now.
Ella, I started my grow list photo thread.
Old December 14, 2016   #2365
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Some of my peppers look just like that. I thought it was TYLCV from whiteflies. They were there early on when it was hotter. Now I must put a leaf under the microscope.

I stink at growing peppers. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong.
Let me know what you find after looking with a microscope. It might be tylcv. Either one is bad.

Heres a leaf off an affected plant (I accidentally tore it).

I dont have a microscope but here is a picture of the same leaf, zoomed in.

Ginny
Old December 14, 2016   #2366
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

My neighbor made a video of the critters (broad mites) crawling across a leaf. I would post it here but when she IM'ed it to me the quality went down and you cant see it clearly. But on the original zoomed in video on her phone it was clearly tiny crawlers. Invisible to the naked eye.

I sprinkled predatory mites last night but I doubt that will help as they are supposed to be realeased each week for a few weeks which is too expensive. I thought I would be able to use the same purchase over several weeks but instructions said to release them all within 24 hours of receipt. So if I want to release more I have to buy more. I even found the critters on my healthy looking pepper plants a ways away. And now I am itching everywhere... lol.

Ginny

Old December 14, 2016   #2367
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha,

My neighbor made a video of the critters (broad mites) crawling across a leaf. I would post it here but when she IM'ed it to me the quality went down and you cant see it clearly. But on the original zoomed in video on her phone it was clearly tiny crawlers. Invisible to the naked eye.

I sprinkled predatory mites last night but I doubt that will help as they are supposed to be realeased each week for a few weeks which is too expensive. I thought I would be able to use the same purchase over several weeks but instructions said to release them all within 24 hours of receipt. So if I want to release more I have to buy more. I even found the critters on my healthy looking pepper plants a ways away. And now I am itching everywhere... lol.

Ginny

Ginny, thank you! It's really good to know this. I really like how when you have a garden problem you research it and don't quit until you get the answer. I just learned from you, many sincere thanks!

Those predatory mites cost a fortune!
Old December 14, 2016   #2368
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Wow broad mites? New to me.
This side is talking about DE and heat working together.
http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Pest_Ins...nd_Broad_Mites

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #2369
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have not been posting much recently. I have been diagnosed with Triple Negative breast cancer and am getting ready to go through some very intense chemo even before surgery. I also have to have an MRI, lymph node core biopsy, echo cardiogram before they install the chemo port.

I have been so worried about how I was going to be able to even have a garden. I have very good friends that are willing to do whatever it takes for me to have my peppers and tomatoes. I planted all of my pepper seeds today. I am not sure when I will do the tomatoes. If I am not able to do it, they will step them and if I can't plant the out they will. Of course I am going to do less than normal, only planted 100 pepper seeds today! Ok, so I have not mastered the cutting back yet but I really will when to comes to tomatoes.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #2370
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Oh no Kay, sending hugs.