Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2010   #1
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Default Just ate my first Green Giant...

On a BLT.

Excellent, Excellent tomato. I had a farmer's market-purchased CP on there which tasted like air in comparison.

I strongly suggest you guys give this cultivar a try.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I tried GG a couple years ago. And it was quite possibly the best tomato I've ever eaten. However, it took forever and ever to grow and ripen here.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #3
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

I would like to hear some comments regarding Malachite Box in comparison to Green Giant.
Thanks.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #4
tomatoaddict

I grew Malachite Box last season. Green Giant ranks as my all time favorite GWR. Malachite box was average to me. But... I did have a very bad season with blight so it might not be a fair analysis. The only other GWR I have grown that came as close to perfection as GG was Absinthe by Alan Bishop. So good. Not quite as wonderful as GG but close.
Old July 22, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
I would like to hear some comments regarding Malachite Box in comparison to Green Giant.
Thanks.
I think you're going to get different answers b'c taste is so personal as well as being perceptual. And plants grown in different years can also give different results.

I've grown one heck of a lot of green when ripes b'c they're one of my favorite groups of tomatoes.

Between Green Giant and Malachite Box I prefer the latter based on taste and production, but consider both to be excellent. But above both of them I prefer Cherokee Green for both taste and production. An added advantage for some might be that Green Giant is PL.

I won't go on and on here with others, although I could.
Old July 22, 2010   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I've only grown Aunt Ruby's German Green and loved it, but plan to grown Green Giant next year to compare.
Farmette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #7
rugerman1
Tomatovillian™

Where did you get your seeds?
rugerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Green Giant makes for a mighty, mighty find breeding tomato....

Summertime Green, Summertime Gold, Dwarf Emerald Giant, Summer Sunrise, Dwarf Mr. Snow, etc... etc... Many of the
best dwarves from the project came out of GG.

I too think it is in the top 3. I personally prefer Spear's Tennessee Green though. Head to head tasting at Tomatopalooza showed it to be the best between GG and Cherokee Green....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerman1 View Post
Where did you get your seeds?
Seeds are often traded around but if you ever want to know where to purchase seeds of a variety I suggest you go to tania's tomato base and after you select the variety scroll down on that page to see the seed sources.

Here's the link to the Green Giant at Tania's'

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Green_Giant

As for seed sources I suggest either Gleckler's or Tania or Tomato Growers Supply.
Old July 22, 2010   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

For Green Giant, I grew it out from Reinhard, loved it, and sent seeds to Mike at Victory (twas the year Lee took the winning specimen to CHOPTAG!) - I can certainly vouch for the authenticity of Mike's seed, therefore!
Old July 22, 2010   #11
strax
Tomatovillian™

Green Giant has been my best tasting tomato for the last 3 years. It really is incredible. I'm growing cherokee green this year to compare.

jake
strax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010   #12
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

great tomato. It definitely falls into the late category, and it's too soon to see how it's really going to produce. It's got about 6 or 7 tomatoes on it however.

I'm very curious to try cherokee green, malachite box, spears tennessee, and aunt ruby's.

My only other green tomato experience has been gz which I really like, but lacks this sort of depth.
Old July 23, 2010   #13
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I won't grow Green Giant again, despite the excellent taste, because it's just not suited to our climate. I've grown Malachite Box, and am growing it this year, and it is a better producer here, not quite as tasty as GG, but pretty darned good.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I keep trying to grow greens but don't have much luck getting any of them to fruit set. I had no luck with Cherokee Green, Grubs Mystery Green, or Green Zebra this year. All fell to fusarium before making any fruit. I had one volunteer in some pepper seed I started that managed to make 4 good size greens that had a very good taste. Maybe I'll try Green Giant and see if it fairs any better. There has to be a green out there that tolerates fusarium a little better.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2010   #15
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Apparently my toy poodle Remy also likes Green Giants.

I found her in the garden around midnight, after ignoring my calls to come back inside. She had climbed up the cage to grab the lowest growing GG which was to be part of our dinner tonight.

I was one part furious, and one part very amused. She apparently has great taste. No more late night freedom for her.