Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 30, 2013   #1
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Default Iron Lady?

Has anyone grown a hybrid called Iron Lady? If so what was your opinion of the tomato and would you grow it again? I am considering it for 2014 and curious as to flavor and production and is it really as disease resistant as advertised?

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Has anyone grown a hybrid called Iron Lady? If so what was your opinion of the tomato and would you grow it again? I am considering it for 2014 and curious as to flavor and production and is it really as disease resistant as advertised?

ron
Ron, here is a link to a thread you already know about since you were the last one to post in it your question above and it does have some who have already grown it>

http://tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=1513171

And here's a Google search with some opinons at different links as to what they thought of it;

https://www.google.com/#q=iron+lady+tomato

Perhaps some of the folks who posted about it in that first link might also post here again.

I hope some of the above helps.

Carolyn
Old November 30, 2013   #3
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

I grew it this past season. It was prolific and disease free. Taste was bland but who knows, could have been the growing conditions. Not in the line up for next year.

Michael
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
I grew it this past season. It was prolific and disease free. Taste was bland but who knows, could have been the growing conditions. Not in the line up for next year.

Michael
I just did some Googling about this variety and it's said to be resistant, that should really be tolerant, to:

The foliage diseases

EarlyBlight and Septoria Leaf spot, both fungal.

The systemic diseases

Late Blight
Fusarium, races 1 and 2
Verticillium.

So without specifying which diseases are prevalent in a certain geographic area , I'm not sure what disease tolerance really means.

Mashman, in MA you don't have many systemic diseases to worry about.Did you have either of the two foliage diseases and were they prevalent in your area ? We live not that far apart and it's the foliage diseaes that are most common here where I live, just above the MA border in NYS.

Carolyn,just curious
Old December 1, 2013   #5
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Iron Lady so far is a dud. It went down to septoria about the same as other varieties. Otherwise, it is a relatively poor flavored tomato.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Iron Lady so far is a dud. It went down to septoria about the same as other varieties. Otherwise, it is a relatively poor flavored tomato.
I had the same experience in Minnesota.

Mark
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013   #7
sicily
Tomatovillian™

It was very prolific, easy to maintain, but extremely boring in flavor and texture, I won't be growing it again. Your Carbon Copy was a big thrill in my garden, I have photos and seeds for you, will get them out soon. I will be growing that next year, fabulous tomato!
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2013   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
I had the same experience in Minnesota.

Mark
Make that another similar experience and opinion in NC....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013   #9
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mashman, in MA you don't have many systemic diseases to worry about.Did you have either of the two foliage diseases and were they prevalent in your area ? We live not that far apart and it's the foliage diseaes that are most common here where I live, just above the MA border in NYS.

Carolyn,just curious
================================================== =

Carolyn,
I had very little foliage disease this year. What little appeared was easily removed from the plant. I sprayed periodically throughout the season using a fungicide. Plants went strong right through the fall.

Michael
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013   #10
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know if Iron Lady is supposed to be heterozygous or homozygous for Ph2 and Ph3?
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2013   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanP View Post
Anyone know if Iron Lady is supposed to be heterozygous or homozygous for Ph2 and Ph3?
Iron Lady is homozygous for both Ph2 and Ph3.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/vege...island-in-2012

Carolyn
Old December 3, 2013   #12
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the interesting comments. I did order the seeds today for Iron Lady.
If it grows well and produces prolifically I can always find someone to give the fruit to if the flavor is not to my liking. I think it deserves a spot in my garden to prove or disprove itself .

The Carbon Copy was received well by most that grew it this year. It is a much better tomato grown in a hot and dry year. It will also be available for purchase as a plant from major box stores in 2015 if all goes as planned. I still have f5 seeds left for a SASE if wanted.

thanks
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #13
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

I was considering growing iron lady next season for the market I grow as I once again had ery severe late blight problems but after reading these posts I will by pass it.. im not a big fan of hybrids any way so will just hope for the best and grow all my heirlooms.. I haent been back to this forum for over a year since my late blight outbreak in 2012 and then again in 2013 but I cant give up hope that next year will be blight free and my cusomers can get the taste of the heirlooms they desere
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote