Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2013   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default midsummer fruit

I guess I'm really stoked to have ripe tomatoes, peppers and such on the 21st of June...
Yes, it's totally cheating. It's cheating to have tomatoes and peppers in Newfoundland before September, period.
But you can still be proud if you grew em in an unheated greenhouse, like the Kimberley tomato and even my little zuchinni's.

Everything else on the plate is really cheating, ie, I grew em in the house.
Yep, living with my veggies, and still... really stoked to have em!

A lot of these seeds came to me through T'ville (and so many more!) so special THANKS and BEST WISHES for the SOLSTICE and a great summer, to all you fine folks.
Bottom to top on the plate and left to right, Jimmy Nardello, Carmen F3, two Alma and a Guajillo (the zuchinni's are Black, Magda and Bianca) , Topepo Rosso and early Jalapeno, a Kimberley with 3 Siberian Pinks, and Sweet Banana peppers. That's all the fruit I could fit on the plate folks.
Also a pic of my cheating Alma, overlooking the boreal sticks.
Please share your tales of midsummer harvest.... I'm happy with my little feast, how about you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midsummer-fruit.JPG (117.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg boreal-cheating.JPG (83.2 KB, 33 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #2
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, nice harvest!!!

How big dd your Kimberley get, by the way?

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

The Kimberley is pretty leggy: I topped the plant at around 6 ft two days ago.
My plants were crowded together so didn't have a chance to bush out.
Old June 22, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations and nice pics! Not cheating, really- you worked extra hard to make the harvest happen despite the limitations of your climate.

Because of a greenhouse, I've been eating tomatoes from Chello, Yamal and Cyril's Choice since May. The outdoor garden is now producing zucchini, celery, regular and snap peas, strawberries, brassicas, lettuce, hot peppers, potatoes & herbs. Yesterday I picked the first Emerite pole beans and the garlic was harvested this week. Super happy with my nightly veggie feast!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

kath, your feast sounds wonderful. I had never heard of Chello, Yamal or Cyril's Choice so of course had to search around and read up on them. Tomatoes in May... I am impressed.
Are these your favourite early varieties, or just the ones you're growing this year?