Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old November 14, 2011   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 South East Texas Tomato Festival (SETTFest) Cancelled

EVENT CANCELLED

We have had some unforeseen scheduling issues and other commitments come up that make hosting the event this year impossible.

Putting on a tomato tasting for this many people requires our full attention and organization, so we apologize, but must cancel the tasting for 2012.

It’s time to announce the sixth annual South East Texas Tomato Festival!

What is it?
A gathering of tomato growers and enthusiasts who want to share and taste different varieties of homegrown tomatoes.

When is it?
Saturday, June 2, 2012
Setup is at 11:30am
Tasting begins at 12:30pm

Where is it?
Palmetto State Park @ the Group Picnic Pavillion / Refrectory in Gonzales, TX. [Map of Park]

Please Note: there is a $3 per person Gate Fee for the use of Palmetto State Park. (However, you may be able to get a discount or free entry if you meet this criteria "$2 per day, per person, Texas residents 65 & born 9/1/1930 or after. N/C for persons 12 & under, disabled vets or born before 9/1/1930.")

Who will be there?
Tomato growers and their families and friends from Texas and surrounding areas. Everyone with an interest in tasting tomatoes is encouraged and welcome to attend.

If you have any doubts whatsoever as to whether you'd be welcome or not, rest assured that we'd love to have you! If you don't have any tomatoes to bring, no worries. Food items, drinks and supplies are always appreciated (or a little help w/setup or post-event cleanup if you have the time or interest), and we do also appreciate a $5 suggested donation from all attendees (per person) just to help us cover our costs of hosting the event.

If you are planning on attending the tasting, it would be helpful if you could drop us a line / Contact Us at the website for planning purposes, including listing any food items, drinks, or supplies you plan to bring.

You can view photos of last year's event in our 2011 Photo Album. For photos of previous year events -

2010, 2009, 2008, 2007

We hope to see plenty of fellow tomato lovers at the 2012 South East Texas Tomato Festival!
Old November 14, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default About the new earlier date for the tasting in 2012

About the new earlier date for the tasting in 2012 in case anyone was wondering.

Snappybob and I talked a little on the phone today about the date for SETTFest and based on that convo, decided to go earlier for the tasting than we have in the past because there are always many who show up who don't have any or many tomatoes left to bring or what they have to bring is past peak. And frankly, it is usually quite the challenge for me to hold onto good tomatoes until mid-June anyway.

Also, for the last three years, the event date (usually on Father's Day weekend and close to Juneteenth too) tends to be inconvenient for some.

As usual, my advice for Central and South Texas tomato growers is to plant early (before mid March) and protect if necessary. I have found over the years that there is no benefit to waiting until mid or late March - because (at least in my area) I almost always get a close call weather event or two in late March or early April that necessitates me needing to do something to protect the plants anyway. Wrapping the cages completely in row cover until the first or second week of April, wrapping the bottom of cages in clear plastic (if you do this, make sure to have the tops open or you can fry your plants), or watching the weather forecast carefully and getting up early on the small handful of cold nights after planting to mist the plants if needed generally works very well.

Just thought since the date and venue has already been set, we may as well go ahead and get the word out now so folks know about it for planning purposes and can mark it on their calendars.
Old January 11, 2012   #3
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I will be planning my end-of-Spring fling around it.
Old May 13, 2012   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Please see the first post of this thread to read an important announcement about SETTFest 2012.
Old May 13, 2012   #5
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I don't have the time to pick up the organizing slack here, but if anyone in the Houston area has any ideas, I can do what I can to help.

Suze: hope everything turns out ok.
Old May 14, 2012   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This really blows I met Nicole Kidman on the plane and she was going to come to the event with me.

I guess we will just have to find some place else to go.

Worth
Old May 15, 2012   #7
eltex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This really blows I met Nicole Kidman on the plane and she was going to come to the event with me.

I guess we will just have to find some place else to go.

Worth
Try the Roadhouse. Plus her hubby can play some tunes while you and Nic catch up.

Old June 19, 2012   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

All of you SETTFEST growers, send samples to me and I will glady rate them this year. It will be tough sampling all of those tomatoes but I am up to the task!
Old June 19, 2012   #9
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

You're a day late and a dollar short. Aside from the cherries, I'm done here. I have a few stragglers a-coming but my production has shut down.

Besides, Tomelo doesn't keep well