Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2011   #1
bohica
Tomatovillian™

Default The Babies are up and Growing!

I started my tomatoes in 4 inch peat pots, in Premier Promix with a little extra mycorrhiza mixed in. This year i went to greenhouse trays with domes on heat mats, what a difference the domes make, they really keep that greenhouse like temp andn humidity.
My Tomatoes, marianna's Peace, Cuore Del Toro, German Giant and a paste Tomato, all germinated withing 3 days.
I started basil and oregano, and they germinated in 4 days.
I also started peppers, Jalapeno, Ghost, Cayenne, Pablano, Mucho Nacho and an Italian variety that was brought back from Italy, friarielli a frying pepper all germed in 6-7 days.
I started Eggplant, Rosa Bianca, took an additional day to germinate.

I have always given my seedlings a very light dilution of Kelp/Seaweed by day 3 after emerging fromm the soil, and by day 5 I add a very diluted amount of Fish to that drench.
I mist with that very same light diluted Kelp/Seaweed.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #2
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Thank goodness , I planted actually stuffed 18 different tomato seeds last weekend. So nice to put 5 or more in each plug, only have 1 sheet now, stuffed, great. Only 4 days they have come up, nice. I tried growing some peppers for 2 months,and now have only 1 or 2 plants of each.

Last edited by FILMNET; March 26, 2011 at 07:38 AM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #3
bohica
Tomatovillian™

I usually start 4-6 seeds per 4 inch peat pot, I make 2 or 3 holes and add 2 seeds per hole. As soon as they emerge, I seperate them into individual pots, I try for the law of averages...lol..the more seeds, the better the chance of getting seedlings.
If you are having problems germinating, try a heat m,at and a tray with a dome.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

It so cold here in Ma today, so on radiators to heat up, then under lights.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote