Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2016   #46
Compuaide
Tomatovillian™

Default Electric tiller has my vote

Electric, in the raised bed tiller flavor, is the best invention ever.

Back in 2012, Amazon had a sale on this tiller for $99. With the Amazon free shipping, I took the bait. Dayum, this thing is unstoppable. It will even strip grass off of new ground if you have patience.

I have killed 3 gas powered small tillers by rocks stuck between the blade and gearbox, bad gas and lending them out. This one owes me nothing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ralph
Compuaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #47
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

I hope your happy with your electric tiller. I wish I hadn't asked my husband for one and asked for something else instead. He got me the SunJoe 12amp. I used it just this past summer to start on a new garden area. It had no problem digging in and pulling up rocks for me and when the area was tilled I could push it even deeper than the 8inches to get further down.

but.........I really wanted to break the clay pan, so I still had to pull out my garden fork and pierce it by hand. Also any admendment's I put in, went flying when I used the tiller to mix them in. Tried 1 bed like that and the remaining beds I did finish this summer, I ended up mixing my stuff in by hand after tilling. So for me with the tiller was still A LOT of work. I have 3 more beds to create this summer before my whole area is done and I will be doing them completely by hand, double digging with a long spade and garden fork while I'm still young enough to do it.

Tiller has been cleaned/put up and will remain there unless somebody asks to use it.
Old December 30, 2016   #48
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Based you guys reviews, I should not expect any problem with my sandy loam soil ,w/ NO/ZERO rocks, stone, hard clay etc. I am going to use it mainly to blend all the stuff in, to a depth of about 10 inches.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2017   #49
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's time for me/us to plant some onions. I used the Earthwise tiller and thought I would share a couple pictures. The ruler in the second picture has a black sharpie mark on it at 6 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0031.JPG (87.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0032.JPG (69.7 KB, 37 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2017   #50
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

cool. got mine slapped together (<3 min), but haven't taken for a test drive. vroom, vroom
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2017   #51
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Mine looks different from that of Roberts. Maybe different/newer model/year.
Since there is no rocks, roots, hard clay in my sandy soil, it works fine.
I just need to practice working with it a bit. Its like driving a car for the first time.
My garden bed is digesting the amendments right now I don't want to disturb it yet for another month or so.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote