Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2017   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

If you want less get rid of all grass.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Actually I don't have a lawn - never planted one - so grass is basically a weed here, and it has invaded and spread a fair bit. I have comfrey but that did not = grasshoppers here. I have seen a few grasshoppers here years ago when I lived in town - in grassy areas.

I've always found grasshoppers a bit alarming, because of the stories of crazy destructive swarms. You see one and wonder, will this turn into a plague? As kids we thought they were cute, and make them jump by tickling them.
When we were studying biology, they had a lab involving vivisection of grasshoppers. That is, cutting them up while they are still alive. I refused to have any part in it, I just walked out and didn't attend that session. One of my classmates who was in pre-med asked why, I told her IMO it is gratuitous ie unnecessary cause of suffering for no benefit. She felt that something useful would be learned. But she came to me after the lab and said you were right. It was gratuitous.

I have no problem with killing a pest animal. But no matter the pest, I would do my best to make it quick and clean without causing suffering. I don't understand the attitude of indifference to another creature's pain.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grasshoppers