Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 12, 2009   #16
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I think making sauerkraut is a form of lacto fermentation. You can also do other vegetables like you do kraut. I just did some green cherry tomatoes via the lacto fementation method. In a quart jar I added a piece of garlic, some dill weed, packed jar with tomatoes then added 2 tablespoons sea salt then filled jar with distilled water to the top and capped tightly. Some recipes call for 1/4 cup 'milk whey' and 1 tablespoon salt per quart but I didn't have any whey so I used the recommended 2 Ts. sea salt. I let the jar sit for several days as the fermentation took place. Fermentation may cause some liquid to seep from under the cap so sit in a bowl. Tasted great! Ate the whole quart in about a week.

I found a good use for those wrapped greenhouse cukes you find in the grocery store. Slice cuke into rounds and add to the leftover lacto juice. I added water to a ziploc snack bag and put it on top of pickles to bring liquid to the top and capped, leaving out on the counter for three days then put in the fridge to get cold. Mighty good eating, very crisp with outstanding flavor.

I've got 2 quarts of lacto dilly beans fermenting, also with some cukes. You can also do a lacto salsa which I've going to try soon. Let the salsa ferment 3-4 days then refridgerate and it will keep for several weeks.

Do a Google search on lacto fermentation to read up on it. Lacto fermented vegetables are great for keeping the body healthy.

I've got fermentation locks so I'll try that method also, and I've made kimchee/kimchi.
Old September 18, 2010   #17
Francis_alsace
Tomatovillian™

Hello.

I am French and I live in alsace, the region of the sauerkraut.

If you wish it, I can give you some good recipes with sauerkraut.

To soon.

Francis
Old September 18, 2010   #18
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I for one would love some good recipes for sauerkraut. Actually, I'd love any French recipes - mmm!
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2010   #19
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for some good crocks, check these out:
10 Liter Fermentation Pot - The SausageMaker, Inc.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2010   #20
Francis_alsace
Tomatovillian™

Hello.

Here the recipe of the jam of sauerkraut.

35 ounces of sauerkraut.
22 ounces of sugar.
2 pints water.

Wash several times the sauerkraut.

Cut finely the sauerkraut.

Cook the sauerkraut in water.

Add Sugar.

Cook for 10 minutes to let Sugar melt. Do not forget to stir.

Put in jar.

Jam accompanies the fish and the game.

The next time: risotto of holy jacques to sauerkraut jam.

To soon.
Old September 21, 2010   #21
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Francis,

Thank you for the recipe. Please provide more if you have them.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2010   #22
Francis_alsace
Tomatovillian™

Hello.

Recipe of the risotto of Holy Jacques.

Prepare the Holy shells jacques. Heat in a saucepan the dry white wine (3 glasses to wine). Do reduce then add fresh cream (3 big tablespoons) and the coral (orange) holy jacques.
Salt and pepper.

Cook the rice (5 glasses to wine) nature in salty water. In a saucepan done to cook gently 1 onions with the butter (3 tablespoons). Add dry white wine (3 glasses to wine) and leave to reduce by half. Once the rice cooks, it is necessary to drain it then to put it in the saucepan. Leave reduce. In cooking end, add Parmesan one.

In a frying pan, roast lightly the 10 walnuts of holy jacques.

Do the kettledrums of rice and add over the walnuts of holy jacques, coat with the sauce. Decorate the plate with jam of sauerkraut.

Good appetite.
Old May 27, 2012   #23
Ted Posey
Tomatovillian™

As a kid in the country, everybody made kraut and no one worried about the temperature or added any yeast. My first attempt came out extremely salty so i got a phamplet produced by Auburn University on pickling and canning. There's no mention there of temp controls or yeast.
I too have made Bravarian kraut by adding carraway seed and splenda. (I'm diabetic) My wife prefers it to regular kraut.
Ted Posey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #24
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

I was just reading about making Sauerkraut this morning. It was this site from Penn State that I ran into looking at Tomatoes. http://extension.psu.edu/food-safety...s/Sauerkra.pdf

I have tried fermenting pickles. They just rotted. I think it is because my weather is to warm. How do you keep Sauerkraut at 70 degrees?
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote