Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2012   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Can't figure out what's eating tops of tomato plants

I have several tomato plants in the raised bed tomato garden that are being eaten. The leaves, between the veins are stripped at the top of the plant. I have checked every day, mornings, mid day, and still find nothing on the plants. I was thinking some sort of caterpillars, but can't find a thing.

Any tips aside from the obvious as to how to determine what I'm dealing with? I did dust the plants yesterday with DE trying to see if that might stop whatever it is from chewing.

I had problems early on with slugs, but those were in a different bed, and the bottom leaves low to the ground were the damaged ones, not the tops.
Old June 9, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I have several tomato plants in the raised bed tomato garden that are being eaten. The leaves, between the veins are stripped at the top of the plant. I have checked every day, mornings, mid day, and still find nothing on the plants. I was thinking some sort of caterpillars, but can't find a thing.

Any tips aside from the obvious as to how to determine what I'm dealing with? I did dust the plants yesterday with DE trying to see if that might stop whatever it is from chewing.

I had problems early on with slugs, but those were in a different bed, and the bottom leaves low to the ground were the damaged ones, not the tops.
You sure it isn't hornworms hiding in there?
Look real hard.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I went out and search and searched today and found NOTHING. under leaves, on stems, and branches. The only thing I can figure is another type of caterpillar. We have huge problems here with gypsy moth caterpillars, and I had tent worms in my elderberry bush which is only 10' away from the garden. I disposed of the huge cocoon the other day but maybe some escaped (I could see crawlers in the tent) before I got them. The gypsy moth caterpillars destroy the oaks in the area, and I have 9 full size oaks on my property. One tree has it's lowest branch about 30' above that garden. I can't find an answer online, but if a couple of those buggers fell out of the tree (I do see their droppings on a leaf here and there) it may have decided to have a gourmet tomato leaf lunch. I hate gypsy moth caterpillars, some years it is so bad that your car is covered in their droppings and forget it if the rains come, ew. I used to get the trees sprayed many years ago, but now due to the ecological impact on the lake where I live, you cannot, and I would not anyway. They do kill a lot of trees though, and most of the tops of the trees are defoliated.

There has not been any new damage in 2 days, just the few that were initially eaten. so far.
Old June 9, 2012   #4
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

What about squirrels? I had the tops of two plants that were clearly bitten off and am 99.9% sure that it was squirrels; we have a lot of them in the area, which is pretty urban. Squirrels are vegetarians.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Squirrels are bushy tailed rats.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Squirrels are cute.

Worth
Old June 9, 2012   #7
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Deer strip leaves with their lips leaving behind veins and small stems. Deer don't usually eat tomato plants, just the tomatoes. They may have come around just to check them out. Sort of casing the place. If you have a 7 1/2 foot high or double fence, or electric wire please disregard this possible answer. Woodchucks go for the bean leaves and more leafy green type stuff. Caterpillars can do a pretty good job of defoliation, but I would think you would have seen them by now, and then why would they just stop?
Charlie

P.S. Squirrels (Tree Rats) are even cuter when they're skinned and gutted waiting to take the plunge into the spaghetti sauce pot.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #8
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Deer regularly eat tomato plants around here. They are one of our worst pests. Although the damage I have experienced they chew a stem completely off or snatch a small plant out if the ground.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Worms? View Post
P.S. Squirrels (Tree Rats) are even cuter when they're skinned and gutted waiting to take the plunge into the spaghetti sauce pot.
Being from the south I like mine fried with gravy, biscuits and boiled potatoes.

Wife wont let me kill and eat them.

Worth
Old June 10, 2012   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Squirrels are cute.

Worth
Squirrels are delicious!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #11
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

arivaraci, maybe they don't eat mine to the ground because they fill up on the Hostas I planted around my garden before I added a 'lectric fence. In the fall theres too many apples to bother with anything else. Or... your tomato plants are just tastier than mine! Around here they'd rather eat hot pepper plants. I've had them graze over the top of a three foot tall cayenne, and turn it into a perfect mushroom shape.

Anyway, they also look cute skinned and...
Charlie

Last edited by Got Worms?; June 10, 2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add content
Old June 10, 2012   #12
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

In the "dirty" south squirrel brains in scrambled eggs are fairly common. If you don't eat it regularly you have at least tried it.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2012   #13
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Trying to get back on topic from garden meats and cuisine, to the plant damage at hand; L.L. you might try a little deer repellent if you have any on hand. Since there hasn't been any more damage (I hope) since the DE application you might want to continue with it also.

Hopefully, whatever has done the damage has moved on, but don't let your guard down.

I hope it's not the gypsy moth or tent caterpillars. I see you are familiar with them, so I don't have to explain. I've had my share of them too.
Have you tried B.T. for them?
Charlie
Old June 10, 2012   #14
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

There are tons of deer here because across the street from me is a mountain and only 2 properties on it, but I have a completely fenced in yard, and have NEVER seen one get inside. Squirrels tend to stay out of the yard because of the cats. AND I have a little chicken wire fence around the garden also to keep MY pets out of it . They didn't chew the whole tops off , just stripped some leaves which leads me to think caterpillars. I'll have to take pics tomorrow, it's raining now.

This is the main tomato garden that I slaved over to build this Spring and toil and sweat weekly to make it look this good I'm pretty proud of it! Not done with the finishing touches around the edges, but if you look really closely you can sort of make out the lake in the distance and see how high up this part of my property is from the lake...so no worries about the muskrat up here.

The only thing I don't like is that my neighbors who have no yard at all (their house has 10' on my side to the property line and 12' on their other side) practically sit on top of me there. Next year I plan to cut those huge overgown evergreen trees down (they are shading part of my garden) and replace them with something else that will cover the fence and give me privacy from the neighbors. They are okay, but putting the house up for sale soon, and who knows what I'll be dealing with next neighbor.

So this is the side yard garden, and there's the road garden, and the lake garden, and the old garden. All in all, I was able to squeeze about 51 plants in the yard here and there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0848.jpg (708.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0847.jpg (720.0 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by lakelady; June 10, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2012   #15
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post

This is the main tomato garden that I slaved over to build this Spring and toil and sweat weekly to make it look this good I'm pretty proud of it!
You should be proud, it looks great!

I also slaved over redoing my beds this spring, although mine is already a bit messy.
Charlie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1586.jpg (702.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1587.jpg (660.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1617.jpg (579.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1622.jpg (619.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1623.jpg (639.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Got Worms?; June 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add messy pix