Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2011   #1
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggested Varieties for the Pacific Northwest

Hi All,

Last year was my first year gardening in the Pacific Northwest. It was a horrible year. I did get a few tomatoes so wasn't a total bust. This year, I am trying to stick with shorter season toms or ones that supposedly do well in cooler climates.

I am hoping for a critique of my 2011 list by TV members that grow in the PNW or similar climate with cooler tems and even cooler nights. Let me know if you think I have any high risk toms.
  1. Gold Medal
  2. Pineapple
  3. Paul Robeson
  4. Green Giant
  5. Stupice
  6. Siletz
  7. Burbank Slicing
  8. Red Brandywine
  9. Box Car Willie
  10. Big Beef
  11. Wisconsin 55
  12. Anna Russian
  13. Gregori's Alti
  14. KBX
  15. Yoder's Yellow German
  16. Jaune Flamme
  17. Black Cherry
  18. Sungold
  19. Wow
  20. Galina's Yellow Cherry
  21. Camp Joy
I had culled some others that I though would be too late like Brandywine Sudduth, Earl's Faux, Cherokee Purple, & Marianna's Peace. I do know that Pineapple is a long season tom but I grew it last year and it made a few great tasting toms (ironic - as I thought bicolors were bland in bad weather years). Being the best tom in a horrible year earned it another spot for 2011.

I culled Chianti Rose as well since the few pink tomatoes that I got last year were not good. Anyone have this as a "must grow"? Is it any earlier than other Pink Potato Leaf Beefsteaks?

I am also interesed to know if anyone can verify the days to maturity for Green Giant, Sunset's Red Horizon, and Neves Azorean Red in the PNW climate? When I look for short season tomatoes (75 DTM or so) I see that some places list these at around 75 days but other places (seed sellers) list them at 85 days (for Green Giant and Sunset's Red Horizon).

Any suggestions is apprieciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by JoeP; February 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #2
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Joe,

Welcome to the forum!

Cherokee Purple does great here in PNW. Gold Medal and KBX are very late in our climate.

If you like to try a bi-colored tomato, I'd recommend Northern Lights (http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Northern_Lights ), it is not as late as other bi-color varieties.

The DTM dates vary quite a bit from year to year, and highly depend on climate. What can be 75 days for Texas, can be 85-100 days for us in PNW, depending on the year.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #3
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Tatiana,

Thanks for the suggestion. While looking around your site, I notice that you list the DTM for Wes as 80-85 days. Was that in the open or in a greenhouse/hoophouse? I am wondering if it would be similar for me in the open weather (although I plan to use a plastic cover as a cloche for likely the entire month of May - or longer if June is still cool and wet like last year)? You list it as a "must grow" so was wondering if it would do well in PNW without a greenhouse.

Thanks for your response. I will reconsider Cherokee Purple.

Joe
Old February 20, 2011   #4
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

I should clarify that I am just outside of Olympia, west of the Cascades. Western Washington has cooler summer days and nights unlike eastern Washington. They have warmer summer days and nights.
Old February 20, 2011   #5
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Tatiana,

Thanks for the suggestion. While looking around your site, I notice that you list the DTM for Wes as 80-85 days. Was that in the open or in a greenhouse/hoophouse? I am wondering if it would be similar for me in the open weather (although I plan to use a plastic cover as a cloche for likely the entire month of May - or longer if June is still cool and wet like last year)? You list it as a "must grow" so was wondering if it would do well in PNW without a greenhouse.

Thanks for your response. I will reconsider Cherokee Purple.

Joe
Joe,

Wes has been late for me. I always grow it in a greenhouse, as well as most of my late beefsteak varieties (including KBX, Marianna's Peace, etc). Well, a 'greenhouse' term is used very loosely here, as the constructions I have act as greenhouses only in the spring and the fall, to get an early start and extend the season. In summer time, I roll up the plastic walls and only the roof cover stays.

The reason I say 'must grow' for Wes is for its taste. Productivity is not great, and it is not an early season tomato for me.

Btw, I live very close to the coast, and on the mountains, so our nights are even cooler and summers are shorter compared to the mainland.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 20, 2011   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

One more thing I forgot to mention: Instead of Siletz, I'd choose Oregon Spring as more reliable and earlier producer. I also like its taste better.

Paul Robeson, Wisconsin 55, Stupice, Jaune Flammee, Anna Russian, Gregori's Altai, Red Brandywine, Galina's, Sungold (but I prefer Sunsugar F1), and Black Cherry all do great here, and they are wonderful tomatoes. Pineapple is late and not a big producer here, even in a greenhouse.

I love the taste of Green Giant, but unfortunately it is also a late season variety that only produced well for me in the great summer of 2006, even without any greenhouse. Obviously here in PNW we cannot predict what our summers would look like, and I'd say that only every 3rd summer is good, and every other 3rd one is plain ugly for tomato growing.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 20, 2011   #7
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
One more thing I forgot to mention: Instead of Siletz, I'd choose Oregon Spring as more reliable and earlier producer. I also like its taste better.

Paul Robeson, Wisconsin 55, Stupice, Jaune Flammee, Anna Russian, Gregori's Altai, Red Brandywine, Galina's, Sungold (but I prefer Sunsugar F1), and Black Cherry all do great here, and they are wonderful tomatoes. Pineapple is late and not a big producer here, even in a greenhouse.

I love the taste of Green Giant, but unfortunately it is also a late season variety that only produced well for me in the great summer of 2006, even without any greenhouse. Obviously here in PNW we cannot predict what our summers would look like, and I'd say that only every 3rd summer is good, and every other 3rd one is plain ugly for tomato growing.
Tatiana,

Thank you for this information. This was exactly what I was hoping to get. Since my space is limited and our climate is not the best for tomatoes, I don't want to gamble on varieties that will never ripen for me. This was my fear of Green Giant and all the Pink Potato Leaf Beefsteaks, Bicolors, larger Blacks, etc. Also, thanks for the insights to Siletz vs Oregon Spring.

The local nurseries and farmer's market here all have Brandywine (one had Soldacki last year) I assume because they are very popular but I had heard/read that the large potato leaf beefsteaks just don't ripen in our climate. That is why I don't have any on my list (like Brandywine Sudduth, Earl's Faux, Daniels, Marrianna's Peace).
Old February 20, 2011   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I would give NAR a try.

While I'm not in your climate, the first summer I grew NAR, we had a PNW type of summer. We never did really warm up that year. I never picked a watermelon that was decent that year. But I had decent production from NAR and a few others I can't remember right now. They were later than they should have been in my area, but at least there was something, which is better than I can say for others that year.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2011   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine grows very well here, no need to worry. Especially Brandywine Sudduth's strain.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 20, 2011   #10
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Brandywine grows very well here, no need to worry. Especially Brandywine Sudduth's strain.
That is fantastic news! I am glad I started this thread. I am so excited!
Old February 20, 2011   #11
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Joe
I live somewhat near you in University Place which il located between Steilacoom and Tacoma,Wa. Brandywine has done well for me in our envoirnment. My davorites are Stump of the World and Neves Azorean Red followed closely by Pale Perfect Purple which is the most productive Tomato I've ever grown. On your list KBX and Red Brandywine(RL) did well also. If you need seeds PM me as I have some,in small quantities, that I could share with you.
Old February 20, 2011   #12
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I would give NAR a try.

While I'm not in your climate, the first summer I grew NAR, we had a PNW type of summer. We never did really warm up that year. I never picked a watermelon that was decent that year. But I had decent production from NAR and a few others I can't remember right now. They were later than they should have been in my area, but at least there was something, which is better than I can say for others that year.

Carol
Carol,

I was initially attracted to NAR because it was listed as a 75 DTM, it was large, and supposed to be good flavored. But I took it off of my list because I thought it was too good to be true - at least for my climate.

Glad to hear that it may be a possibility for me afterall.

Thanks,
Joe
Old February 20, 2011   #13
JoeP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
Joe
I live somewhat near you in University Place which il located between Steilacoom and Tacoma,Wa. Brandywine has done well for me in our envoirnment. My davorites are Stump of the World and Neves Azorean Red followed closely by Pale Perfect Purple which is the most productive Tomato I've ever grown. On your list KBX and Red Brandywine(RL) did well also. If you need seeds PM me as I have some,in small quantities, that I could share with you.

JWR,

That's two positives for Brandywine and NAR. Was it the generic pink brandywine or a specific strain (Sudduth)? Were these close to the stated DTM or much later?

Thanks,
Joe
Old February 20, 2011   #14
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Joe
I have grown both the Sudduth strain and the Brandywine Red Regular Leaf(RL) the BW (RL) was earlier and far more productive but the Tomatoes were smaller. Check out Tania's Data Base and/or Tomato Growers Supply on the Tomatoville seeds and plants sources.
Old February 20, 2011   #15
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Joe
I forgot,If you meant Galinas and Not Galina I can vouch that Galinas a Potato Leaf,yellow Cherry Tomato is a winner. It has never failed me. It is a Highly Productive that will bear fruit until you get a hard freeze