Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 24, 2013   #106
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieV View Post
I finally got to harvest my big tomatoes. They finally started ripening this week. As usual, the black tomatoes are my favorite, especially Black and Red Boar and Black Krim. There's nothing quite like that first taste of the season. The other black tomatoes aren't quite ripe yet, and it's so hard to wait for them!

Black tomatoes (clockwise from top left): Vorlon, Black Krim (4), Tasmanian Chocolate (dwarf plant), Black and Red Boar (3), Black Prince (3)

Other tomatoes (clockwise from top left): Paul Robeson (2), Cherokee Purple (4 unusually small fruit), Green Zebra (4), and Not Isis Candy I and II are from plants grown from seed saved from the same fruit that was supposed to be Isis Candy but wasn't last year.

The Cherokee Purple is an F3 plant since I saved seed from a CP plant grown in 2011, then saved seed again from the resulting plant grown in 2012. This year's plant is really prolific, with almost 10x as much fruit as the other black tomatoes like Spudakee, Vorlon, and Paul Robeson, but the fruit is much smaller, about 1.5 oz. Last year the fruit from my Cherokee Purple varied between 4-6 oz. None of the fruit are quite ripe yet, so I'm really curious to see if it tastes just as good.

Not Isis Candy I actually looks like an unusually large (double the size of regular) Isis Candy; it even has the characteristic starburst on the blossom end. Not Isis Candy II is twice the size of the perfectly round 1" red fruit I got last year. Since they're both about the same size as Jaune Flamme, I wonder if the fruit from the original Not Isis Candy I grew last year was pollinated and mixed with Jaune Flamme, which was a few feet away. The red 1" fruit I got from the original Not Isis Candy last year was almost as sweet as Sungold, so I can't wait to taste them to see if they're just as sweet.
Beautiful photos!
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #107
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

So many wonderful tomatoes!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote