Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 9, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default More Micros

The micro cherry tomatoes started on Oct 30 are coming right along. I had to transplant them to a larger pot yesterday. They still fit under the lights but not for long. The next step will be to hang on chains a 4' long shop light above a spare table. That will provide light when the tomatoes outgrow the plant stand. L to R: Lille Lise, Red Robin, Jochelos.

They're also putting on buds, especially Lille Lise:

I lightly buzzed the bud stems with the electric toothbrush and now that there are some blooms open I did a little dabbing here and there with a stripped back Qtip.

This is an interesting little project amid the chilly winter weather. I've ordered seeds for four more varieties; Pinocchio Orange, Birdie Rouge (red), Chibbiko (red) and Groovy Tunes (striped) and will be swapping a few with a friend for a few more varieties. I'm starting to wonder if this will be a new obsession. Probably... at least until spring gardening time starts!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2020   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Isn't it fun? I'm also growing Red Robin, along with Birdie Jaune, Linda, House and a Russian one abbreviated to OK. Most are now 14" tall with flower buds, some were started later so they are shorter.

I bought a Root Farm LED grow light and bleached them at first because the light was way too close at the recommended 2" . I've since backed off to a foot away and the new growth is dark green. Hubby made some extension feet for the stand.

It will be lovely to get some winter tomatoes .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2020   #3
clara
Tomatovillian™

When the time for frost is over, you can put them outside, (perhaps) cut them back a bit and add new fertilizer and they will continue to be nice and reliable producers. And before first frost, you take them back on the window sill and if you have a bit of good luck, they will even produce next winter. Linda, a common friend of us who is living in Canada, has already tried it - it works! He only let his plants die because he did not want to eat the same variety again and again...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The Whippersnappers (Dreikäsehoch) I started in January lasted out on the front porch table all summer until some funk got a few of them. In May I started one each of Red Robin, Jochalos, Lille Lise, Whippersnapper and Ramblin' Stripe. They lasted until frost got them in October but they were about done anyway.

On Oct 30 I started one each of Lille Lise, Jochalos and Red Robin (the ones in the photo) but will soon be starting one each of Birdie Rouge, Chibbiko, Groovy Tunes, Gelbes Topftomate and Pinocchio Orange.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote